Upgrading IBM Aptiva S9C

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmartin22

Hello all,

Was wondering if anyone had any information to help me on this. I am going to upgrade my father-in-law's pc and it is a IBM Aptiva S9C and I beleive the model # is 2162. It has a remote console that is under the monitor that turns the pc on, houses the floppy and cd-rom drive. The console has one cable that plugs into an ISA card and all the interface is done through this cable. We want to change the motherboard to an Athlon mb with a new ATX case of course. Looking inside of it yesterday I noticed that this interface card has two cables plugged into it, one is a normal IDE cable going into the secondary IDE connector, ok no problem, the other cable is a smaller ribbon cable, maybe 9-10 pins (square) and this cable is plugged directly into the mb with it's own connector/pins on the mb. Anyone know what this cable is and what it does? I assumed it was the connections so the console can actually turn on the pc on so forth.
Does anyone know if I can get a new mb that has this capabilty? He still wants to use the console. Thank you, any input will be appreciated.

I would say he is gonna have to bag the console. It is difficult if not impossible to upgrade like that. It also leaves about 20 questions.

What are you doing for Video ? Sound ? Memory ? Modem ? Peripherals ? Etc Etc....

In cases like that, you are better building an Athlon "BOX" instead of trying to salvage older possibly propriatary devices.

Yes, that is the same conclusion I came up with. There is not a MB that supports that feature. So, it will just sit there and hold up the monitor and look pretty..lol

Thanks,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back