Upgrading Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boxy Brown

I would like to upgrade my motherboard to a PCI-E motherboard, but the problem is that I don't really know much about them. So if anyone could recomend a good PCI-E motherboard, I would greatly appreciate it.

you need to give us more information boxy brown

we need to know what you have now. if it's an OEM boxed PC, then simply state the brand and model number. if it's custom made, then give your full system specs (if you don know them then download everest home edition, it will tell you everthing about your system)

The reason we need this information is because:

1. there are different sizes and standards for motherboards

2. motherboards are made for specific hardware

3. you may need to upgrade other hardware as well

Computer Keeps Restarting

plz help me my computer keeps restarting it has done for the past 4 years since the day i got it. I think it may be my UPS settings or my power settings aren't set correctly to why my computer is restarting alot. It restarts when I am playing sims 2 or just on normal desktop someone plz help?

Sarah

Ok well it is a Sony Vaio, Model Number PCV-1154. If you need more information just tell me and I'll get it.

Sarah Louise - U better make a new thread if you want anyone to see your Post!

Boxy - you might find it hard to source a PCIe to suit your Socket 478 Processor, it's been superceded by the Socket 775 for some time now.

You'd be better off getting a reasonable AGP card, rather than going to the expense of getting a new motherboard - if you can source one - and PCIe Card.

The Card you get depends on your wallet & the type of games etc you play.... A 6600gt will play most games at pretty high settings, though you may need a more powerful Power Supply.

Ok, thanks. I already have a 7800GS, and as far as I know that's the best AGP card around.

About how much do you think it to do all of that, because I would really like to get a good PCI-E motherboard with more than one PCI-E slot so I can get SLI enable video cards. I know it's going to be really expensive but could you please tell me, thanks.

Far as I know, there were no SLi Socket 478 Motherboards.

It'd have to be a CPU/Motherboard change.

Then it's down to the big AMD vs Intel debate...

to run an SLI setup, you need alot more than a new mobo

mr. p is right, socket478 is old and even if you can find a PCI-E s478 mobo, it's not worth it.

I have never seen a mATX SLI mobo, so you will probably need a new case as well.

You can't upgrade an OEM boxed PC into a nice SLI gaming rig, you have to build your own system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back