Upgrading RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dundas2

What benefits/changes would I expect see if I increase the RAM from 256? I'm quite happy with how the computer is performing,but it is my first one,so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks.

Dundas2 said:
What benefits/changes would I expect see if I increase the RAM from 256? I'm quite happy with how the computer is performing,but it is my first one,so I have nothing to compare it to. Thanks.

256 might be all you need, it really depends on what you want to do with you PC. I increased all PCs to 512MB well those with a limit. To me 512MB isn't enough 1GB of DDRAM is good start. 2GB and 4GB for those who really need power. Average users can get by with 512MB for desktop and laptops. It's when you get into video and audio editing then you need 1GB of DDRAM. If you want to get into HTPC (Home theater Personal Computer) then you need at least 1GB to capture and watch TV on your PC, just like turning your PC into DVR (digital video recorder).

So to answer your question get the extra RAM you PC will thank you, but one thing before I go you need to change the page file.

512x256 = 768 min
768x768 = 1536 max

If you don't do this? Adding the additional RAM won't help you much. This has to be adjusted.

tipstir said:
256 might be all you need, it really depends on what you want to do with you PC. I increased all PCs to 512MB well those with a limit. To me 512MB isn't enough 1GB of DDRAM is good start. 2GB and 4GB for those who really need power. Average users can get by with 512MB for desktop and laptops. It's when you get into video and audio editing then you need 1GB of DDRAM. If you want to get into HTPC (Home theater Personal Computer) then you need at least 1GB to capture and watch TV on your PC, just like turning your PC into DVR (digital video recorder).

So to answer your question get the extra RAM you PC will thank you, but one thing before I go you need to change the page file.

512x256 = 768 min
768x768 = 1536 max

If you don't do this? Adding the additional RAM won't help you much. This has to be adjusted.
How do you change the page file?

well for one, your page file reading will be diminished and most programs will load faster. XP is a memory hog using about 140mb for itself. This doesn't leave much for other software. The more memory, the better. It is a cheap and inexpensive way to get the most bang for the buck when upgrading. Always buy the same brand, type, and size of memory when upgrading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back