Upgrading system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer~freak~

Hey guys well since its gonna be christmas ssoon im gonna have some cash in my pocket and im planning on buying a few upgrades for my computer :

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Crossfire Edition) :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

GeForce 8800GT i might get 2 for sli (i dont know what brand to buy suggestions?)

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138

CoolIT SYSTEMS FREEZONE Thermoelectric CPU Cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227002
any suggestions or have a better part inmind leave a reply

in regards to the gt...i'm not very clear on some of the brand names. EVGA, XFX, and PNY are decent i think. i own a few PNY products and they're not too shabby at all. so...if anything i'd go with that one. at least it's cheap.

aside from that, you're looking at some very nice stuff.

BUY ME SOMETHING! lol.

not that i know of but theres a site thats named Ncix that does i just put newegg links cuz they were easyer to find the parts =D

dinglejohn, trust me when i say this, the new 8800gts is not worth it.

it performs JUST LIKE the 8800gt. the only difference is on a few games it gets a difference of about 15-20 frames. but for those same games, the gt and gts are already achieving well over 100 frames at that point anyway. so 15-20 frames at that point isn't very much nor is it noticeable. everywhere else, the differences are maybe 2-3 frames.

and for 100 dollars more than the gt? screw that. besides. you can overclock the GT like friggin crazy and that thing can even achieve performance levels that surpass the GTX if you do it right.

that new gts is pretty much a GT copy cat. NOT worth it in my opinion. i'm sticking with 250 bucks and a GT for my PC.

well i might just get that new 1gb GT that asus is making i saw it on the Tspot homepage it looks promising and it comes with software to overlclock the sharder ,memory and core. and it has a diffrent heatsink. what do you think should i wait for the 1gb one or juss go with a xfx xxx version that redfox911 sugested?

I doubt you're gonna use or really need the power that PSU provides. The Corsair VX550 would be enough IMO. As for SLI, drop the idea. It doesn't give 2x the performance increase and it only shows its potential at resolutions like 1600x1200 and above. If you have a monitor capable of that resolution, by all means go SLI and for that you'd also need that PSU you chose. As for the card's brand, eVGA, XFX and BFG are the best, in that order. eVGA's Step-Up program and their warranty make them an excellent buy.

well im buying this powersupply becuz in like 6months from now i cant picture my rig with a quad core and two raptors in raid 0 and the powersupply i chose will be able to handle upgrades

link590o said:
dinglejohn, trust me when i say this, the new 8800gts is not worth it.

it performs JUST LIKE the 8800gt. the only difference is on a few games it gets a difference of about 15-20 frames. but for those same games, the gt and gts are already achieving well over 100 frames at that point anyway. so 15-20 frames at that point isn't very much nor is it noticeable. everywhere else, the differences are maybe 2-3 frames.

and for 100 dollars more than the gt? screw that. besides. you can overclock the GT like friggin crazy and that thing can even achieve performance levels that surpass the GTX if you do it right.

that new gts is pretty much a GT copy cat. NOT worth it in my opinion. i'm sticking with 250 bucks and a GT for my PC.

Point made, and very true

well i mean...come on. just look at Nvidia. just..take a good look at them. they introduced the GT not very long ago. and they were seeing the GT sell like hotcakes, so they probably figured, hey, let's expand the 8800 line even more with another GTS and reel in the cash again. and just like the GT and a few other products, it was introduced right before christmas too.

it's not that hard to see through a money-making marketing ploy when you look at the specs, the price, and the timing of the ploy. i don't think they can really expand the product line very much unless they make something that tops the GT. and they already have. the Ultra.

their two best products are the GT and the ultra. anything else inbetween is bought either due to preference, budget, or the timing of the purchase. i.e., they bought their product before the GT was introduced.

to make something that tops the GT is to make something that tops the Ultra. and they wouldn't want to top their flagship just yet. after all, that's what the 9800 series is for. :D

The 8800GTS rev. 2 is going to be nothing like the GT, since it has more shader processors than the 8800GT, giving it much more pixel-processing power. So it is an excellent buy, provided you wait for it to release next month.

is that the 1 gigabyte variant you're talking about? or the 512?

There will be only a 512MB version of the new 8800GTS available, with 64 TMUs and 128 stream processors compared to the 8800GT's 56 TMUs and 112 stream processors. The 8800GTS 640MB will have a toned-down 256MB version with 12 ROPs compared to the former's 20, besides having a 256-bit interface instead of the 320-bit one on the current 8800GTS. It will be called the 8800GS. Both cards will be able to offload video decoding from the CPU for better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back