Upgrading the processer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chatline100

Hello

I'm looking to upgrade my processer as it's only 0.7GHZ now. I just need to find the socket so it's compatible with everthink. Say that the socket was Socket 478 .... then all I need to do is check that my PC motherboard is that, or are there otherthings to check.

I have everest but i'm searching though and can't find anything about sockets either, and belarc wont show me how do I find it

Say that the socket was Socket 478 ..

The socket was socket 48. Now what?

Dwmload CPU-Z from this site. Run that, then on one of the tabs (i forget) there is a save log button (or something to that effect, you get the idea). Post the file here.

Yup I got a load of information about it like .....

CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 733 MHz (5.5 x 133)
CPU Alias Coppermine, CuMine, A80526

On Everest

CPU-Z

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1

Name Intel Pentium III EB
Code Name Coppermine
Specification Intel Pentium III EB 733MHz
Family / Model / Stepping 6 8 3
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Brand ID 2
Package Slot 1 SECC2
Core Stepping cB0
Technology 0.18 um
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 731.0 MHz
Clock multiplier x 5.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 132.9 MHz
Bus Speed 132.9 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 16 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 32 Bytes line size
L2 Latency 0
L2 Speed 731.0 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 ECC Check enabled
L2 Data Prefetch Logic no
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer Compaq
Motherboard model 058Ch,
BIOS vendor Compaq
BIOS revision 686J4 v3.05
BIOS release date 04/10/2001
Chipset Intel i840 rev. 01
Southbridge Intel 82801AA (ICH) rev. 02
Sensor chip FFFF FFFFFFFF

Looks like you have a socket 370 motherboard. The next thing we need to know is what CPUs your motherboard supports.

Can you give us your compaq model number?

DonNagual said:
Looks like you have a socket 370 motherboard. The next thing we need to know is what CPUs your motherboard supports.

Can you give us your compaq model number?

Compaq Worksation AP550

CPU

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 733 MHz (5.5 x 133)
CPU Alias Coppermine, CuMine, A80526
CPU Stepping cB0
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE
Original Clock 733 MHz
L1 Code Cache 16 KB
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 256 KB (On-Die, ATC, Full-Speed)

It often is pointless trying to upgrade an old PC. PCs move in technology every 2 years like cars move in 10 to 15 years. So a 6 yr old pc looks like a 45 yr old car!

So now it looks like this statement: I have this 1960's blah blah blah and I'm looking for an new engine for it.

Why bother! Also trying to find a PIII new would be near impossible and you'd end up buy a used CPU and mobo for a Used PC store.

Cheers.

l second what kirock is saying. Not really worth the investment to upgrade a socket 370 system unfortunately. Even if your system does support the 1Gz processors (and my guess is that it would), it just isn't enough for today's applications I'm afraid.

Well I was planing on using it as a server ....
I guess it's pointless attempting to upgrade

Thanks for both of your help

Hey, I am all for using a computer as long as possible. Depending on what kind of server you want, you can always give it a try.

If you look here: http://search.hp.com/query.html?cha...station+ap550+1.13GHz&ocoldqt=ap550&oc=100748

You can see that the ap550 workstations were sold with up to 1.13Ghz processors. If you can find one (ebay) for a good price, heck, why not give it a shot and see if it'll work in your system? My guess is, it would work...

You want the socket 370 PIII EB 1.13Ghz

kirock said:
It often is pointless trying to upgrade an old PC. PCs move in technology every 2 years like cars move in 10 to 15 years. So a 6 yr old pc looks like a 45 yr old car!

So now it looks like this statement: I have this 1960's blah blah blah and I'm looking for an new engine for it.

Why bother! Also trying to find a PIII new would be near impossible and you'd end up buy a used CPU and mobo for a Used PC store.

Cheers.
I think this trend is slowing. For a long time now 64 bit CPUs have been out, but little or no 64bit software has been available..... so really people have been stuck on 32 bit platforms. I still have my relatively fast athlon XP 3200+ and it does everything I need at 32 bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back