Upgrading to 512 mb ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirag_gajjar

HI!
I am having Intel P-4 2.8 GHz processor WITH HT and Intel 865 mother-board. I am currently having 256 mb DDR ram. Now i want to upgrade it to 512 mb. I have two options;
1) Sell the current 256 mb ram and get a new single 512 ram. This will cost me 1600 Rs.
2) Get another 256 mb ram and make the total 512. This will cost me 1200-1300 Rs.
Since the price margin is not much, i want to get best performance. Which way should i go?

if you want the best performance then yor only option is option 2. currently you are not operating in dual chanel mode since that requires TWO matched sticks of ram. So buy the same brand and speed as the current 256MB stck and you can operate in dual channel mode.

swker98 said:
I would definetly go for the second 256mb stick, get the same brand as you have alredy
Hey i dont think i would be able to get the second 256 mb ram of the same brand as the first one. If i get second ram which is same as first one i.e. 256mb DDR but of another brand, would it make any difference?

always dicey. As best it will work, at worst it won't and you could jack up your system.

never mix ram types, speed, size, or brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back