Upgrading to Firefox 2.0 in Fedora Core 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicRic

Hi.

I learned that running

yum -y --enablerepo=development update firefox

is the easiest way to upgrade to Firefox 2.0.0.3 in Fedora Core 6; it worked perfectly for me in 2 machines running FC6.

Now, I have another machine running Fedora Core 5, and I can't run the risk of messing it up -

Would the same command line work fine in FC5 ?

Thnx

The development repo represents the future FC7. Yes, trying FC7 packages on FC5 may be risky.

You can tell yum to only show you what would be done and not actually change anything on the system.

I install Firefox in most systems by extracting the .tar.gz package to home directory and running it from there. No harm done to any system files and it's just as easy.

Thanks Nodsu, thanks Mictlantecuhtli.

In the end I decided to perform an upgrade of the whole system, from FC5 to FC6; then I applied the tested and true "yum..." command.

I had a bit of a snag when at the end of the 'yum' command I got a message stating

Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Check Error: file /etc/gre.d/gre.conf from install of firefox-2.0.0.3-3.fc7 conflicts with file from package seamonkey-1.0.8-0.5.1.fc5

I uninstalled SeaMonkey and run the command again, which ended successfully then.

Now, excuse my inexpertise, but I have a problem that I hope you can help me solve.

When I run Firefox 2.0 as 'root' I can see all sites which require the latest Shockwave Plugin, but when I run as 'user' the browser asks me to 'download plugin'.

If I review the "about: plugins" as root I get the following:
Screenshot_root.png

If I review the "about: plugins" as user I get the following:

Screenshot_user.png

Could you give me some direction ?

Thnx

The plugin was installed for only the root user most likely..

You should have a flash-plugin or some similar package that you can install.

In Firefox's about:config page, you could change plugin.expose_full_path to true to see where the Flash plugin went. You can also copy it to user's profile directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back