Upload Tweaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I was wondering if it was possible to configure a cable modem to give some download juice to the upload juice.

Like I'm running a CS server here and 250kbs upload is just not going to cut it. I need to get that up to 1000kbs or higher.

Any suggestions?

I am not entirely sure what the hell you are talking about, however I will hazzard a guess and say you are thinking about cable modem hacking.

Cable modem hacking - of the kind I am thinking of - involves flashing your modem with a modified, hacked firmware, and this allows you to overcome the download and upload speed caps that have been imposed by your ISP when you first registered and installed your cable modem.

Its illegal, and will get you taken to court for cable fraud and very likely fined big time. You will also get banned by that ISP and very likely other ISPs as well.

There is, however, I whole web site out there that is FILLED with information on how to do this. I forget the URL now anyway, even if I would tell you, which I would not.

You MAY be talking about something else, I'll grant that. I believe that there are legitimate software utilities that you can get that claim to improve your cable modem performance, however I believe that almost all of these pertain to the Microsoft World.

I think you are pretty much stuck with that performance, only way to get even close to that 1000 from 250 is a service upgrade, and jumping that much will likely cost you quite a bit.

So tweaking my modem from inside the computer isn't possible? Like registry editing and what not wont cut it rite?

(Sorry for the double post)

Tweaks for windows... say I changed my server to windows. What kind of tweaks are out there? I've already did max regestry tweaks by speedguide.net and optimized some performance at dslreports.com.... anything else I can do?

If you've already been to dslreports.com and speedguide.net, there is pretty much nothing left to do. Those two places have pretty much every registry hack and tweak out there to make any improvement to speed and throughput.

I understand your question, and I can plainly tell you there is no way to reroute plasmatic photonoid warp energy from the plasma conduit to your upload.

Either pay extra, or be stuck at 200kbps. :(

That's not good enough for a game server, but hey.. At least you aren't using 56k!

There are "upload cap" removers... Perhaps you can look for one these. I am not sure how well they work - And they only work for some services.

Hey Phantasm66, is it possible to edit the caps so it's not that obvious that you flashed your modem? Like, is it possible to do a simple flash that will just raise my speeds just a tad bit so it's unnoticable?

Not that I am aware of. To be honest, its something that I have never looked into because its illegal. I believe in white hat hacking. Well, for the most part, anyway.... Breaking the law with a computer crime is silly even if you do know how to get away with it. Courts punish computer crime so irrationally, with white collar computer criminals being treated like rapists or drug dealers, for even the most trivial infractions in cosmic terms. I am not aware of anyone dying in the case of Kevin Mitnick - but he went to jail for years. Its not worth it. Even for fairly trvial things, its not worth it. I wish it was, but its not. Some Judge and Jury will hate having to pour over the technical details, and if they believe the Prosectution will treat you like some con man insurance fraudster who stole old people's pensions. All to get your modem faster.

On the other hand - LOL - if they are even half as lame as my ISP are, they may not even notice....! I kid you not!

So its up to you. Break the law, or don't. That's always the choice in society.

I guess in this particular case, I elect not to. And I recommend that you do the same.

Ok, see here I'm a minor. If I do this then it's my parents going to court or something?

And HOW can they know if you flashed your modem and are downloading like crazy? (Cable modems here).

Ah, my stepdad here told me that I can make up all these crap excuses... friends coming over like every day using comp, I don't know what they do but they always put somethign new in......

"I don't know what I did! All of a sudden I opened this prog and my modem goes like T3!"

Etc.

?

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/03/152232&mode=thread

Go read grasshopper, and learn. You do NOT want to be on the recieving end of a big stick. If you're not in the US, there's a good chance that your country uses a bigger stick than we do- many countries are taking cyber-crimes pretty seriously these days, even if they're crimes that are the rough equivalent of spraypainting your initials on a well grafitti'ed wall.

Is it right to be arresting over such a small thing?? Probably not. But do you want to find out if doing this is worth the trouble? ?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot.. if you look in the contract with your ISP, **YOU** are responsible for any actions occuring through your cable modem. Their responsibility ends where your cable modem is connected to the outside world. After that, anything that happens through your line falls to you, criminal or civil violations included. So that excuse of friends likely won't cut it. This is much akin to you being responsible for any violations of the law that occur at a party held at your place, whether you knew or not. Just think it through, it's not worth it, really.

Damnit, I'll just have to find someone in this world with a fast connection. I'm on T1 but the upload BLOWS.

How much T3 cost just about?

Uh... you might want to think about the fact that you can only download from the slowest link in your connection.

Say your downloading from Microsoft.com, and connected from Bellsouth. You may go from Bellsouth, to some other website to Microsoft. Even Microsoft only allows about a 140k/sec download speed (somewhere in there), but lets say that website in the middle only allows 10k. Then you are ONLY going to get that file at 10k/sec.

And the fact is, MOST websites and servers won't let you download faster than about 150k/sec (and thats very rare).

Lets say you could get away with "hacking" your modem and getting some hilacious speed out of it. Wouldn't matter, unless you were running 100 different computers on that one modem because you would NEVER use the speed to its full potential. Hell, you can't even do it with an unhacked modem without downloading tons of files at once, or having lots of computers using that same connection.

In other words. You wanna go to jail for hacking your modem when it won't even do anything for your connection? You might remove the caps from the modem but you won't see it.

Think of it like this. Modern phone lines only allow 53k speeds, even though modems have the ability to run at 56k. You wont really see a 56k TRUE (again I say TRUE) 56k connection with a dialup modem because, the line is "capped". No matter what you do to your modem, it's fruitless effort.

So, its pointless. Dont waste your time. Evaluate whether its worth it paying a lot more for a faster connection or just deal with the speed, because honestly thats the only options you have.

Care to clear up some foggy issues for us?
1. Cable Modem and T1? Which do you have?
2. If you have T1 that most likely means you have quite a bit of money, so going to a T3 wouldn't bother you much on cost, since T1 is pretty damn expensive - check here for prices: http://www.earthnet.net/ia_t1.php

Well I guess those are the only 2 I can think of right now cause if you can answer those for us then things will make a lot more sense. I suspect you are on a cable modem and not a T1, and in that case just call up your ISP and tell them what you need, look at the prices for what you need. If you can't afford it then carefully look into the laws and your ISP's contract your parents signed - see if you think its worth it to break that contract.

Why stop at OC3? How about OC192? :)

I don't get it.. One moment you have cable.. Next you have T1... And let me just say the upload on a REAL T1 line is much better than 200kbps.

And why even bother with expensive T1 anymore when high-end, residential DSL is just as good. DSL is even better in some areas, if you have the money.

Originally posted by Rick
Why stop at OC3? How about OC192? :)

*drool* Wonder what your cost would be there. Wait, no I don't wonder. Even after winning powerball, I could probably only afford it for a few years...

T1 is 1.5Mbps download, for your information. I've done my research and have realized that I have T1, even faster. T3 is 45Mbps download.

My connection is a little over T1, when I payed for regular cable.

Also, the only reason I want to uncap my modem upload speed is because I am running a CS server at my house.

I guess I should stay away from uncapping because 1) My ISP clearly states no excessive downloads and 2) No hosting a server.

However, Phantasm, I have a firewall and it seems as if a comp on my network (when only 1 comp is on) is trying to access my comp. The connection is always blocked and never started till I got cable (DSL to cable). Do you think that's the config file that the server sends to the computer? If so, then I can get away with uncapping my modem right?

That's like saying because a Cheetah runs at 60mph it must also be a Car since my car goes 60mph.

T1 isn't a matter of speed, it's a different type of connection than DSL.
-------------------------------

DSL versus T1 T1 is a technology that bundles several phone lines together to provide downstream access speeds of 1.54 Mbps. This is a very respectable speed, and one of the benefits of T1 is that it allows a larger number of users to be connected at one time than do the other types of Internet access. However, most businesses find that they do just fine without T1 once its pros and cons are put into perspective. Since T1 requires the use of special lines, the installation process is lengthy and complicated, as is the process of connecting private networks from different regions. These are minor set-backs, however, once a further variable is added into the equation. The decision between DSL and T1 access becomes much more simple for most businesses once cost is considered. Generally speaking, a business can pay up to 4 times as much every month for a T1 line as it would for DSL. In other words, for the cost of a single T1 1.54 Mbps connection, you could install three 1.1 Mbps DSL connections. This is due in large part to the fact that DSL uses ordinary, preinstalled telephone lines. For this same reason, DSL also simplifies the installation process and the interconnection of multiple networks. When you look at these facts alone, it is easy to see why many have termed DSL the "T1-killer". DSL continues to blow away even its strongest competitors as more and more businesses become aware of its simplicity, affordability and its potential.

There usually is no installation purpose and setup is easy. Most every single place now has a cable jack somewhere. That's where the modem goes. Then, installation is simple. Especially if you're running Windows XP, the second it's in, the second you're fired up. Also, DSL you have to dial to the net which is a bunch of BS.

DSL was a hell of alot slower for me than cable. I've had DSL for about 1 year and 2 months until I finnally decided to switch to cable. The DSL was really slow and I never got advertised speed. I think I can speak in what beats what over in my neighborhood. The only time anyone would ever want DSL is if the ISP for the DSL is within a 5 mile radius from your house.

Speed for cable is virtually limitless, speed for DSL has a maximum and that's the capacity of phone lines (which I forgot).

Overall, get cable. Way better. I can tell that you have never tried cable or don't even understand it.

By the way, I think I can say the majority of servers (web servers and game servers) use cable. Yahoo! uses cable... MSN uses cable... so why do they use it? Duh maybe it's FASTER?

Edited because of language

Yes, I've had both Cable and DSL. Currently running Cable.

You're not getting the point though, and not reading anyone answer's to you.

Cable and DSL are very different from T1, T3, OC3 and any other type of connection out there.

I implore you to do more research and read some more because you're simply missing the point.

Where I live, I've had Cable and DSL. They are both about the same, except when local traffic gets heavy, the cable slows down and the DSL is always the same. Plus, both advertise 512 down, but cable is 126 up and DSL is 256. I realize what you are talking about is much faster, but where I live DSL is the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back