UPS cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

Im looking at buying a second hand APC smart-ups 1000. except it doesnt come with any cables what cables will I need to use it? and can I get these from a computer store??

im assuming I might need power cables with 2 male connectors for connecting the computer powerwise.
and a five pin cable so the software can do its thing..

I attach a photo of the back on the unit its the only one I have on the computer at the moment I have seen the front and it looks in excellent condition. just not sure on the cable situation.

Attachments

• 9a_1.jpg
    9a_1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 9
I just bought an APC UPS and the cabe it uses is USB on one side and what looks like an RJ45 on the other. I'm not sure if it is standard or proprietary, but I can't make out the jack on the back of your UPS in the picture, so I couldn't say.

Don't worry about the software connector. Unless you use it for a server or a PC that is on 24/7, the warning beep from the UPS gives you enough time to switch off the computer when power fails.
The powercables should be available from any store that sells UPS's.

i have 2 machines that run 24/7.

APC wont have a special plug will they that i cant go out and buy from a computer store will they??

Any store that sells the same UPS that you have, will also sell that software-cable. They are however just USB or 9-pin DB9 RS-232 cables, which are fairly standard stuff.

You will need to get the software separately, probably DL from their website (or from the same shop above)

Some UPS use the standard power cables, some have special plugs. Just look at the back of the UPS, of you see power connectors like on the back of your PC power supply, you are OK.

The data cable is of little use to you probably. Unless you want to set up some system like getting a remote alerts (e-mail, messenger service, etc.) saying that the power is gone, battery is low or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back