UPS saved my *** again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

thank God I bought an UPS sometime ago after a lightning storm fried my old computer.

This time I had my ups also plugged into a surge protector - so the new system was doubly protected.

Last night we had a flash storm here in the desert.

Had a blackout and everything is still fine!

:D

WoW!

I live west of you and get some good flashes too.
How do you have it configured?

I'm using a belkin power authority II just as surge
protector. Has saved my bacon twice this year.
I've setup a few ups but never had one on my systems
or got to see them work.
WHew!

unless you have a server system OR let you systems run 24/7, the UPS needs
no config or cabling what-so-ever :) I have three systems + the network gear
on a CyberPower 950, all w/o auto shutdown enabled. For me, I or the wife will
always be present when we get a 'brown-out' (loss of power) and the UPS has
enough reserve to allow a manually controlled shutdown.

Saved my bacon more than once too :)

got my surge plugged into the wall, non critical equipment is plugged into the surge protector. My UPS is plugged into 1 outlet on the surge. The UPS also has a surge built in. I bought an old APC BackUPS Pro 500 from a used computer store and put in a new battery. (saved about $20 from buying a new one). Critical equipment like the monitor and computer are plugged into the UPS.

might want to get better protection. My old system was just on a surge and a brownout fried it. An UPS will kick you over to battery protection so you can power down safely.

Thankz, I'm taking that recomendation

Yeah, I'm thinking that way.
With the NON-soons (monsoon) I have here,
we get alot of lightening storms this time of year,
without rain, of up to 1000 strikes per hour I'm told.
I even got renters ins.
Man that storm did sneak up on you let the frames load..12 hour

same here. Gotta have renters insurance in el paso. Too many break-ins living this close to the border. Fortunately I live very close to the Army base and the crime isn't real bad where I live. It's nothing compared to DC and MAryland when I lived there for over 20 years.

I pass by your way when I visit relatives in Las Vegas. Perhaps one day we can hook up and grab a burger or something.

Tedster said:
I pass by your way when I visit relatives in Las Vegas. Perhaps one day we can hook up and grab a burger or something.
Doors open.
:wave:
You're active duty?
If so, Thankz for the job you guys do!
I was civil engineer for USAF here years ago.

ha! Small world. I was USAF for 5 years (Civil Engineers) before I transferred to the Army 10 years ago.

I work in C4I now. (Command and Control)

5 until I retire!

As a matter of fact, I participated in a big exercise at Nellis last April. The USAF and Army are almost merging back together in many areas.

Tedster said:
ha! Small world. I was USAF for 5 years (Civil Engineers) before I transferred to the Army 10 years ago.

I work in C4I now. (Command and Control)

5 until I retire!

As a matter of fact, I participated in a big exercise at Nellis last April. The USAF and Army are almost merging back together in many areas.
Small world! :approve:
I was at Luke AFB, got to vaccuum the runways. Roads & grounds
(Civil Engineers youth program) I was too old to mow the grass LOL, 18yrs old, in those years
we had German AF training and lost several F104's & F111's.
It was my job to clean up crash site (on and off base) after Investagations.
Got to go down to Goldwater firing range once for downed A10.
Most lived the inccidents. I should've stayed, but went on to enviro job instead.

I've been stationed at Ft. Bliss off and on. This is my third time. I was on recruiting duty in PA before I was assigned here. I'm just trying to ride my last 5 out if possible.
But special duty pay for recruiting is going up to $650 supposedly in October. That's too tempting. I may wait until I have 17 in to go back. 5 years is too many in USAREC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back