*URGENT* "CD drive not ready" messege appears when trying to access CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am trying to fix this computer for my uncle. Every time I try to access the CD rom drive an error messege comes up. I do not know what the problem is. If anyone else has found this problem and fixed, or knows how please let me know.

Error messege: CD rom drive not ready

Sys specs

Win 98

Toshiba CD-Rom Drive model no. xm-6202b, if that helps anything.

I need to fix this problem before the first of April. :hotbounce

If the computer correctly detects the CD-ROM drive when booting, its probably not that there is a loose cable connection, but check that anyway.

You probably have a dead CD-ROM drive. They are INCREDIBLY cheap now. Buy another one and replace it.

Well I have got two of the same type of CD rom drive. One out of my uncles old computer, it worked before I stripped his, the other was the one in the computer that I am going to fix up for him.

Neither worked. I thought there may be a problem with a driver or something.
In the Device manager, when I click on the CDROM properties there is not much information, just CD rom drive, and the driver used for it is a generic one used in the win98 os.

I don't know what the problem is. That is why I am here asking questions.

:wave: Nice discussion about different kinds of bytes and such phantasm66 (gummibyte and such, hehehe). I was reading it last night.

No I have not, and it gets annoying. I have to unplug this computer and hook up the other one. Egad! :rolleyes: I will try it though. I just want to get this fixed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back