URGENT problem. work computer not starting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B

The old Pentium at work wont boot.

The led's light up, the CPU fan works, but theres no signal to the monitor and I can't hear any noise from the hard drive.

Ive tried rebooting holding the DEL key down, but it wont even go into BIOS.

H E L P

Reseat all AGP/PCI cards, the memory sticks
Check all ide-cables between mobo and disk-drives.
Check all power-connectors from PSU to disk-drives.
If there is a fuse in the PSU, check and replace if needed. Careful if you have to open the PSU. VERY HIGH VOLTAGE in there.

Also check that the CPU is properly seated.

Try unplugging - removing all cards and cables then reseating - replugging back in again.

Was anyone inside the computer before this happened? I agree with the other posts. If someone was inside the computer, they may have bumped a cable or unseated a card on accident. If no one was in the system, then something might have blown.

Troubleshooting: Start simple by checking all the connections. Verify everything is in tight and where necessary unplug an reseat devices (HDD, vid card, memory, etc.) If this doesn't resolve it, start removing unnecessary components (these may be items that are necessary for work, but not necessary to boot the computer for testing, i.e. modems, hard drives, cdroms, floppies, etc.) If it will not work with the basics (PSU, CPU, MoBo, Memory, and vid card) start replacing parts one at a time and see if you get a post. I would start with PSU, Memory, and vid card and then work down to CPU and MoBo... You should be able to find the culprit by following these steps.

Let us know how it goes.
Bug

Bloody PSU! one of the rails must have gone -power for led's and CPU fan, but no power to mobo.

Havent got back earlier as they bought a bare bones system and I was setting it up.

The great thing is that it works here at home with another psu! fair payment for setting up the new one? It's nothing to write home about, 1700MHz P4, (sans HD) but it cost me nothing. It has a HUGE 128Mb of PC100. 256 of pc133 and it might be 1/2 decent.

ps. The post was urgent because thats the day they do the wages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for your help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back