URGENT: receiving IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error

Status
Not open for further replies.

troxartas

hello everyone, i hope someone can help me because this is a problem i don't need right now! eternal glory and respect to the person who solves this problem for me!!

i just moved into a new apartment and tried using my computer. i have a cordless keyboard and mouse. the mouse was not working very well and was starting to aggravate me, so i took it out and plugged in an old one i found. this old one worked...for about five minutes, then it quit too right in the middle of something i was doing. since i couldn't do anything because of the mouse, i hit the restart button, and that is the last time i was able to use it. okay, that's the backstory, now on with the error messages.....
first, during the restart, the following came up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
...and then it says you can attempt to fix it by starting the windows setup from the cd-rom and selecting 'r' at the first screen. i do this, then it goes to the screen that says: Microsoft XP Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality...etc. if i try to do this i get this blue screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to the computer.
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart....etc.

at this point, i'm not holding any hope for recovering any of my data on the hard disk, so i'm just looking to sweep the hard drive and start over. however, i get this same error message if i try to run the install Window XP option from the setup CD. after i select that option, it asks me to accept the terms, and after i agree.....it goes right to the blue screen with the IRQL error message. i don't even think i can run it in safe mode...

all I want to do is to sweep the hard drive and start over. i just want the computer to be alright to run another day. does anyone have any clue as to what to do? i would be eternally grateful for any help anyone can give me!

often a sign of memory errors. Run memtest 86+ booted from a floppy or cd rom. Run for 7 passes.

This can also be caused by bad or corrupted drivers.

thank you for responding! i'm at a website where you can download Memtest86+ (www.memtest.org, but there's about ten links, which one do I need to download? also, after i run it for 7 passes, what then? thank you again.

ok....i answered my own question about which one to download by going to the memtest forum (should've done that in the first place!). now i'm going to make a disc and run 7 passes like you said. i'll let you know if it gets fixed.

run the latest version. The others are older editions. Some are specific to particular chipsets.

If you get any errors when running then you have issues.

i ran seven passes of memtest and no errors were detected. should let it do another few passes? i have the diagnostic tool for my western digital hard drive....i'm going to try that next. or does anyone have any other suggestions? thanks.

9 passes of memtest found nothing....western digital diagnostic tool found the following error:

DRIVE NOT READY
ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0104

any opinions before i attempt to contact western digital? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back