USB 2 probs on Win XP build

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I’m dealing with is that XP reports all the USB 2.0 controllers and hubs to be enabled and working. Yet no device plugged into any of the USB ports is recognized. This is a new build/rebuild: 3.2GB P4 processor, Gigabyte RZ series mobo [model 8S648FXP-RZ(-C)], XP professional w/Service Pack 2. The power box is new (PurePower 420W). The USB drivers are those supplied by XP SP2 as the Gigabyte manual specifically instructs NOT to install the SiS 648 USB drivers. The mobo appears to have the latest BIOS (F3)

This is the first build I’ve done since before the release of XP and I’m a bit rusty. I have uninstalled the enhanced USB controller and the root hubs and let XP reinstall, but still no joy.

Any help, advice or direction would be deeply appreciated.

Jack

Not an expert but I had the same/similar issue. Might want to check bios settings and turn off Plug and Play OS setting. Good test would be plug in the USB items after windows starts and see if it finds them. Could go into device manager and try updating the drivers from Microsoft as well. Not sure which fixed my issue but it works now.

Still Trying

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestions. My BIOS doesn't offer the option of disabling the OS PnP. I've just transported the box from our lowspeed dialup mountain home to the world of high bandwidith where I work and will have it hooked up tomorrow so I can check updating the drivers from Mickeysoft. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jack

I have the same problem with A7N8X-X, but I'm stupid so it's probably me not the hardware. I installed some USB2 drivers from the ASUS CD that came with the motherboard, and got ONE of the hubs working, and then plugged an external hub into that :rolleyes: Such a genius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back