Usb base antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephisto_007

Hi, I'm just wondering why not having a USB (Flash, Drive) containing an anti-virus software instead of having to install it on each of every computers? and let say a friends of mine having a hard time of getting rid of the virus (due to the fact he didn't have any internet access to update his anti-virus definition) then a USB base anti-virus would be a great ideal to used... or perhaps its can't be done?

As far as im aware, most if not all antivirus scanners need a driver to be placed in the system32 directory. Fot this reason, a scanner must be properly instaled on a pc for it to work.

There are quite a few so called portable AV programmes around and while I don`t think they`re as good as a resident AV programme, they`re certainly handy in certain situations.

Take a look HERE for some ideas.

Regards Howard :)

The thing is, , the stand alone Antiviruses - like Stinger - are ONLY scanners, and won't screen EMails or Downloads like a Resident Antivirus. Even AVG Free does this.

A really effective way of removing Malware from your friends PC's is to remove their HDD, plug it into yours {or a Test Bench one} as a Slave either directly or in a USB Caddy, and scan it then - that way no viruses are active, and the removal is more thorough.

Obviously don't go opening any files etc until you've scanned the HDD & removed any nasties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back