USB/Chipset Relation Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddy05

I wonder if I buy a USB 2.0 PCI card, will it work fully with my system, at 480Mb/s?

CPU: PGA423 Pentium 4 1.8ghz
RAM: 256mb PC800
PCI: PCI Interface 2.0
Chipset: Original i850

The i850 chipset does not supports USB 2.0, only 1.1

A USB 2.0 PCI Card? Never heard of it, USB(Universal Serial Bus) and PCI(Pheripheral Component Interconnect) are different things though they are bus. Are you talking about fitting a USB 2.0 device to your pc? Give some more details.

USB 2.0 PCI Card

eh? You never heard of it? It's something like this. It's a PCI card outfitted with USB ports for USB devices.

The max speed of the PCI bus is 133MB/sec

Though the USB is not 480MB, it's 480Mbps divide this with 8 and you get the MB rating which is 60MB

Not even half of the PCI bus; so yes; you will get "Max performance" out of it...

Also you must remember that you have USB 2.0 devices any benfit out of it.

ss1.

I think the way I ask the question is wrong... (thinks how to phrase it) I was trying to ask whether it'll work as a 2.0 when the i850 only supports 1.1... will the USB card work at 1.1 instead?

Originally posted by eddy05
I think the way I ask the question is wrong... (thinks how to phrase it) I was trying to ask whether it'll work as a 2.0 when the i850 only supports 1.1... will the USB card work at 1.1 instead?

Yes it will work as 2.0 card, since it is using a independent Chipset from the motherboard.

ss1.

It will work at USB 2.0, since there's a controller chipset on the system board which is USB 1.1, but when you introduce the USB 2.0 PCI card, it will have another controller chipset on the card, which is USB 2.0.

Just trying to make sense of what ss1 said ;)

Re: USB 2.0 PCI Card

Originally posted by eddy05
eh? You never heard of it? It's something like this. It's a PCI card outfitted with USB ports for USB devices.

Forgive for my ignorance , it seems that i m bit left out!! :(

PCI card fitted with USB ports? I haven't heard of anything like that either............:(

(It took me 8 refreshes to successfully load this "Post Reply" page.....it kept saying that the page couldn't be loaded.......maybe I've zapped my internal modem with too much static electricity?.....:confused: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back