Usb device not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Gateway 4540 Laptop with XP Pro SP 2.I dropped it the other day. Anyway, I use it with an iPod. When I moved the usb cord to the iPod the computer went off...cold. It would'nt start. The power light just flickered when I pushed the power button. After a few minutes it powered up when I pushed the button but it no longer recognizes any usb devices including a mouse, the iPod, storage device, nothing. I get a pop-up saying "usb device not recognized...One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognize it." I checked the device manager. Everything seems to be in order and working. When I open it there are no expanded catagories, usb or otherwise. I read an article saying that it was a service pack problem so I installed service pack 2, which I was avoiding. Now the pop-up does it's thing on it's own instead of when I plug something in to the usb. By the way, before I installed sp2 I ghosted everything back to before this all happened with no help. Another thing, just before all of this happened, I transferred some mp3's with a scandisk usb flash card when I clicked on the icon to disconnect the window poped up telling me to select the device you want to unplug and click stop. Well instead of selecting the device I selected the top of the tree, the one that says mass usb storage device with the usb emblem and then clicked stop. I don't know if mabe I stoped the usb controler from running or something. I've searched the web and I only seem to find advice like un-install the usb devices and controlers and reboot and let windows re-install them automatically, which I did. None of whice has helped. Don't know what to do at this point. Can someone help me? I'm not really sure if moving the cord to the iPod did anything at all. I'm just reaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back