Usb external harddrive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazon_sephy

Hi,

I just bought a Neo mobile storage harddrive case and cant seem to get it to install. When i hook it up it says its installing the drivers for a mass storage device on the usb port. When it finishes install it says problems have occured that may prevent the device from being used. When i look in the device manager, its not even listed! Im running winxp pro- sp2, and have an aopen ax4b pro 533 mobo. I have also tried this on my laptop running xp pro sp1, and on an old win 2k machine and none of them have gotten it to work. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

looks like you're either doing something wrong or the hardware itself is defective. Did the part some with any software and/or drivers?

no, it says that windows xp will auto install the drivers for you. i dont see how i can be doing anything wrong. i plug in the enclosure to the hd, and then plug the power in, and plug the usb into the pc. It detects it for a second, and then just doesnt install drivers for it. Also, i read somewhere to check for hidden devices in the device manager, sure enough it shows up as hidden. I have no idea what that means tho....

Has the drive itself been prepared for the system i.e. partitioned and formatted ?

Or have you tried another drive in the enclosure?

patio. :cool:

i tried a harddrive that ive used for data already. its an 80gb wd that has a windows 2000 installation on it, and data just thrown on there when it was used as a secondary drive in my system, its formatted as ntfs. I have also tried an old 2.0gb wd which has windows 98 installed, thus it uses fat32. Neither drive works with it. Maybe i have to put a freshly formatted drive in? Maybe the old drive simply cant work in the thing, and i have to use the newer 80gb freshly formatted with fat32? Once i get the data backed up on my 200gb seagate which im having problems with mentioned in the thread above this one, ill try that drive in this thing. I cant format the 80gb at this time.

reformatting the drive won't fix anything. your problem is with the drive controller. see if you can return it or exchange it for another one.

I am having the same issues with this enclosure. Anyone have any solutions, other than returning the unit?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back