USB Flash disk 512 format problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a USB flash disk 512mb -myflash-. As i had it attached to the usb port , i started a forma t procedure, through the Windows Format utility [blue screen be4 logging to windows], as i wanted to format my previous disk and install a fresh copy of windows. Accidentally thouh i formated [NTFS] the flash disk. Since then, no PC [running Windows-i havent tried anything else] recognises my Flash disk when i have it plugged on. Its like it isn't there, it doesnt exist. Any suggestions of how to retrieve it? I dont care about the data i lost but i do care it works.

See if it apperas in Disk Management in Computer Management. If it shows up then try reformatting it using FAT (not FAT 32) using Disk Management (which is found under Computer Management in Control Panel under Administrative Tools). Just make sure you don't reformat your Hard Drive. If it dowsn't show up then go to the manufacturers website and see if they have a driver or similar that will allow windows to see it.

XP format is N.G.

search this board for USB and you will see we've abandoned FORMAT from XP.
It seems to foul out the partition size and thus reduce the usable space.
Concensus is to use ANY other system(Mac,Linux,Win/98se), recreate the partition, and format to FAT32

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USB
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD.
4. Type DisableSelectiveSuspend, and then press ENTER.
5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
6. Type 1, and then click OK.
maybe a solution.

Remove and reinstall all USB controllers
To remove and reinstall all USB controllers, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click the Hardware tab.
3. Click the Device Manager button.
4. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
5. Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.
6. Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.
7. Plug in the removable USB storage device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.
maybe another solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back