USB flash drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an Apacer 1GB USB stick and I have a problem. Recently when I try to access it by doubleclicking I get an "open with" dialog window. So I have to access it by right click and then select open. When the right click menu pops out there is an "Auto" button on top. How can I get rid of these things. I'm not sure but I think this started happening when some automatic windows update was downloaded and installed. I'm not sure but I don't think that this is the problem but it's worth mentioning. Here are 2 pics to illustrate the problem

Do you have an autorun.inf file on that drive? (it will be a hidden file most likely if you do, so make sure you have show hidden files and folders turned on - tools -> folder options)

OK i solved the problem. The file system was FAT 32. I formated the stick changing the file system to NTFS. Now it works fine. Why is that so I really can't tell. The important thing is that it's working properly now.

That shouldn't have been the problem. Did you try formatting as FAT32 first? If you did and it formatted and still had the problem then something interesting was happening. If you formatted NTFS only then I think you just deleted whatever was the problem because file system should make no difference. I'd recomend FAT32 for flash drives for better compatability with Operating Systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back