USB floppy drive unable to read floppyies...Asks to format, then can't

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1ishr

Hello all, I know this might not be a big thing to most, but hear's the problem...I've got an HP ZV5340US notebook (I know, just the letters HP have you cringing right about now) that has everything but a floopy drive. So I purchase a generic, no name USB floppy drive, boot-up the laptop, connect the cable, windows recognizes it and installs drivers for it and everythings ok...not. after slipping it a floppy and accessing the drive, I get a familiar message stating the floppy is not formatted...would you like to format now? At first, I say no, and then get a message stating the drive can not read the disc. Take the disc out and re-insert, get the same message, only this time clicking yes in answer to the format question...only to be greeted with a "can not format disc" message.

My question is did I get a piece of junk or do I need to enable something within Windows XP Home Ed. or it's registry? The floppies I tried are read/written to without a problem on another laptop that has a built-in floppy drive. I've also tried both the drivers XP loaded when it recognized the new hardware AND the drivers that came via CD with the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back