usb fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcloud

Hi chaps,
Have a peculiar problem trying to install an Intex ALI USB 2.0 4 port pci card. First installed it and then loaded software - the cd came with lots of different drivers on it and I installed the ones for Win98, but it couldn't recognise anything. Then I uninstalled the card and then all references to USB in Device Manager in safe mode and tried it the otherway round (i.e. installing software first and then pci card) and let the so-called wizard detect the drivers. What happens is that when I allow Windows to detect the best drivers it gets to 50% and then asks me to load Win98 cd rom. If I load my original Win98SE disk the screen all goes pearshaped and I have to reboot again. Now I have got to the stage that the drivers are installed okay for the Intel USB Host controller, but not the USB root hub. It looks on the Win98 cd, but cannot find anything. It seems to be looking for usbhub.sys and usbcat.sys. When I do a search of the USB files on the Win98se cd, there are only 3 files (usbflash.sys, usbmtd.vxd and usbview). If I direct the search to the C: drive Windows/system32 etc it finds files, although it says I have the best already loaded and if I persevere and load from that area the system basically crashes with a dll type error. I am at the stage where I just want to get back to where I started, so that I can have another go at installing the Intex drivers and card, but the system does not seem to be able to find any files on the Win98se disk that it needs. Apart from advising to restore the registry, does anyone have any idea what is happening? Even though this card is supposed to work fine with Win98se, is there a possibility that this pc is now a bit ancient for the latest USB card? Thanks for any advice.
:blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back