USB hard drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have already searched high and low on this forum and many more but do not seem to be getting anything to work,

Anyway my problem is that my external USB hard drive is recognized as a USB mass storage device and even gets the safe removal icon on the bottom of my Win XP. But I can't find it on My Computer, Explorer or Disk Management.

Kindly help me to access it as I have data on it I want.

Cheers,

Maddy

Do you have USB 2.0 or just the 1.1? Did you update the USB drivers from your manufacturer site.

Chipsets
USB
etc.. for your motherboard.

Mine is USB 2.0, all drivers have been updated. My other external hard drive works perfectly fine. I think my HDD is spoilt :(

Any ideas?

Are you sure you don't see it through Disk Management? If this is true, odds are there is a problem. Search through Device Manager also, perhaps it is showing up with an error.

It shows up fine on Device Manager which identifies it as USB mass storage device, it even identifies the make of the device. But not able to access drives and data stored in it.

No, it doesnt show up on Device Management.

Is your HDD a larger 3.5'' drive or a smaller 2.5'' (like a laptop)?
If it is a larger one, take it out of its case and try to install it inside your PC. Maybe it will become usable, but theres no guarantee.
Sounds to me like te HDD has a problem, but its hard to know exactly what is going on with it.

mikescorpio81 said:
Is your HDD a larger 3.5'' drive or a smaller 2.5'' (like a laptop)?
If it is a larger one, take it out of its case and try to install it inside your PC. Maybe it will become usable, but theres no guarantee.
Sounds to me like te HDD has a problem, but its hard to know exactly what is going on with it.

that does sound like a hardware problem with the harddrive.

hi

im having the same problem, it said my external hb is currupted right after i Installed a PC game. I name my external hb "EXTERNAL HD" but now it changed it name to "Local Disk"

my xp pro recognize it once i plug in my usp 2.0, but now it isn't :l

System restore to a date before you installed the game. When all was OK.

START - ALL PROGRAMS - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS - SYSTEM RESTORE

I'm not sure if this will work with an external HDD, but it's definitely worth a try!

tried it but no luck. But luckily it work after I dismount it, and leave it off for a day :D

some folders name has changed through; like My.stuff.Jan.2007 changed to MYSTUFF~2.200 or ALCOHO~ instead Alcohol 120%.

not sure if those long files name was the cause of it (hd malfunctioning)

anyway appreciate for the suggestion :-D and GL to you OP

Thanks for the update. Perhaps others can try dismounting their volume as a troubleshooting technique. It's good to know.

Cheers :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back