USB Intermittant...About to cry....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy All! :confused: :eek:

I just built two new PC Chips based systems!

1) With the first system I hooked up my USB printer, Mouse and a Fuji Film A340 docking station, on the Via 6202 PCI USB 2.0 card.

The mouse went out first, then the other two ports on the card, while the MoBo slots worked. Then all slots went out.

Rebooting sometimes solved the USB prob, yet, the USB PCI card and MoBo slots remained intermittent. Uninstalled the USB PCI card and the problem remained. eloaded x2 VIA 4 in 1 USB drivers. Same prob.

The on-board Rhine II 10/100 disappeared from my Device Manager, however, the driver successfully reloaded.

2) The Second system without the Via USB PCI card and Fuji Dock, USB is doing the same thing; network is ok.

When I loaded printer software, I got three blue screens that remind me of chip set failure. I think one read “VxD…blah blah blah…. 00123456…etc.

(When I wake up the monitor, for a sec, small rectangles appear at the bottom of my screen, and the screen whistles –Maybe the screen is too old to handle the GeForce Card.)

Maybe I have:

A compatibility issue with USB hardware.

or

MoBo Bios and Drivers need updating.

Should I erase the hard drives and start fresh?

or

Uninstall Via USB drivers, run clean up, scan disk & defrag, then update everything?

Thanks very much for your help! :chef: <<< it looks like a beer!

All parts are new:

First System

M811LU v3.1 MoBo w/ Athlon XP 1700+
Windows 98 SE
512 MB DDR 2100 in two slots
Western Digital 400BB
GeForce 64 2 MX 400
Motorola Chip PCI Modem
LG DVD-ROM 16x48
AOpen CD-RW 52x48x52
Sony Floppy
MS Optical Wheel Mouse
Harmony KB
PowrMax 400 PSU tested
** With this one, I installed a VIA 6202 Chip Based 3 + 1 USB 2.0 PCI card

Second System

M811LU v3.1 MoBo w/ Duron 1600 OEM
Windows 98 SE
512 MB DDR 2100 in two slots
Western Digital 400BB
Nvidea RIVA TNT2 Model 64/64 Pro (used)
Motorola Chip PCI Modem
Lite-On DVD-ROM SOHD-169PS
Lite-On CD-RW LTR 52327S
Sony Floppy
MS Optical Wheel Mouse
Harmony KB
Antec 350 PSU tested

Common Software:

AVG 7.0, Zone Alarm, Office & Pub 97, Lexmark Z515, Cyberlink DVD & Nero
Panicware Pop-up Stopper, AT&T, IE 6, Adobe, Norton's SW Premier 2005 (performance test only), Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware

I don't think Windows 98se can handle a lot of that hardware.Beginning with the 400 gb HDD
I would reccommend checking some driver requirements/capabilities. .

i'd expect as much from windows 98. the way to go is 2k or higher (NT ver 5.0 and up), because this stuff could easily be caused by the long outdated windows 98.
PCI USB 2.0 card
i'd expect it to be as buggy as hell whilst using win98se.

you need to find out if your problem is hardware or software. i reccomend upgrading to windows 2k or higher, because windows98 is 7 years old and the extra green would be well spent.

Opps! BB looked like GB .Old eyes .
But I still stand behind my advice!!!! You will not have fun with (98 in that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back