USB Keyboard switching off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

When I reboot, my USB keyboard seems to switch itself off midway through the boot process. As a result, I can't log on to Windows (i.e. can't enter a password). Here's how it works:

- Press the start button on the PC
- The green light on the keyboard comes on
[-- If I press Del now, the BIOS config screen loads properly and the keyboard works fine for now]
- The Windows logo appears on the screen
- The green light on the keyboard goes out
- The XP Home login screen comes up
- Keyboard doesn't work, but USB Mouse does.

Setup is Windows XP Home Edition with Microsoft USB keyboard

I tried starting in safe mode, but pressing F8 (while the keyboard is operational) just fills up the keyboard buffer and then the system boots to Windows normally.

Anybody got any ideas about this. I'd be extremely grateful for any suggestions at all.

Perhaps you could use another keyboard and change them as soon as you're in the OS. But I'm not exactly sure if Plug&Play works for keyboards and mouse on USB.

your bios recognizes the keyboard, so you know it's working. windows needs to have drivers manually installed for said keyboard. perhaps it is somehow disables, a problem that can be fixed by a few clicks in the device manager.

Thanks folks. I got this resolved in the end. I booted from a recovery disk into safe mode, fixed the driver and Bob's your uncle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back