USB not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

Does anyone know any good reasons for my USB-ports to suddenly stop working? Since yesterday, any device I try to connect to any of my USB ports just dosn´t work, and XP pups up a message saying that "The device had a malfuncion and was not recognized by windows" or something like that. I think it is a problem with Windows, because when I turn on my computer the little LED on my USB-Stick turns on, and when windows starts loading it just shuts of. I´ve tried with diferent devices, and the same thing happens. Yesterday I uninstalled StyleXP, and after that my USB stopped working, but I don´t know if that´s the cause. Does anyone know about this situation?

Uninstall all your USB-related devices in Device Manager, reboot and have Windows reinstall them automatically.

I tried to uninstall USB-related devices, but as soon as I press "uninstall", Windows automaticly detects the device and reinstalls, even before I can restart or uninstall other devices. And it still didn´t work.

I discovered that if I disable USB 2.0 support in the BIOS, it works, but obviosly at lower speed. So how do I make it work with USB 2.0?

If this happened after you uninstalled some software, you could try a system restore. It won't put back the software but it might restore whatever was changed in the registry.

Sounds great. Unfortunately, I´ve disabled system restore (not a good idea in this case, I admit).

OK -
1) disconnect all USB devices
2) reboot into safe mode and remove all the USB devices in control manager.
3) reboot and reinstall USB ports and hubs, then reconnect all devices and reinstall.
If this fails I would reinstall windows - overkill maybe but in my experience the only way to get a stable system again.

I solved the problem by running the System File Checker. Now it´s working at normal speed again, no need to reinstall windows, luckily. Thanks, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back