USB ports won't respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running windows xp on my pc, and recently, i tryed to connect my ipod, and it wouldn't work, neither would my Flash drive. The A: drive doesn't show up in my computer. I'm a bit of an ***** to computers so any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot.
-si

mrsi said:
I'm running windows xp on my pc, and recently, i tryed to connect my ipod, and it wouldn't work, neither would my Flash drive. The A: drive doesn't show up in my computer. I'm a bit of an ***** to computers so any help would be appreciated, thanks a lot.
-si

Hi MRSI and welcome to the Techspot Forum.

Most of the time I see this its usually because XP has an issue with the USB port drivers, or they have been turned off in the BIOS.

First remove any devices connected to the USB sockets

Open Device Manager, Start > settings > control panel > System > Hardware >Device Manager.

In the list go to the bottom and find "universal serial bus controllers", click the plus sign next to it and for each item listed , right click and choose Uninstall. when all are done reboot the PC.

Windows will start and will refind the USB controller and reinstall it, once done try inserting your Ipod, you may have to have the drivers to hand.

If the USB doesnt show in Device Manager then they may have been disabled in the BIOS this may explain why the A: drive isn't showing.

Reboot the PC and look for F2/F10 or Delete to enter setup.

Once in the BIOS scan through the pages for anything related to USB and the A: drive, (commonly called the Floppy), if they are set to disabled or Off, then turn them on or enable them and save and exit the BIOS.

Let us know how you go on.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back