USB Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

boeingfixer

Hey anyone have one of those USB storage devices ? I am going to pick one up late this week, probably 64 or 128. I am going to use it to load drivers and utilities for when I go to others computers to load or fix something, sounds better then carrying a load of disks and cd's, I can get them from 32meg to 1 gig. Anyone have them, like them ? i will let you all know.

I used one of the 128Mb to help a guy in class, and liked it very much... Easy to access, quick transfer, and generally no hassle... (this was on a 2k box...)

I'd buy one or 2 myself, if it weren't for the price...

.02$

Several guys at my work have bought USB flash storage devices from www.scan.co.uk called "Pen Drive".
Both use them rather than wasting CDRs for 128mb and under.
No complaints from either users. Great idea, much hander than a CD since you can change whats on it on the PC you are using it on...

I've seen a few of those units (referring to the Pen Drives) and I'm also considering in buying one of them. I'll be looking at the 64MB/128MB models only though. Even the 128MB model is a tad bit expensive.

Here are a few pen drives that I've seen around:

http://www.easydiskusa.com/
The first one that I saw which really got me interested. But it wasn't available locally. They've got links to review in that site as well.

http://www.diskonkey.com
Just saw the review of this over at:
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Reviews/Disk_on_Key/index.htm
and
http://www.burnoutpc.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=49

http://www.apacer.com/product/handydrive/index.html
The only one that is available in my country :D

All in all, I've only read about good things on those little gadgets. The good thing is that they're faster than the IDE ZIP drive which is good! :)

Thanks for the articles Lokum, I hope to get mine today or monday, I'll let you know how it works and if I like it. Talk to you soon. :)

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Thanks for the articles Lokum, I hope to get mine today or monday, I'll let you know how it works and if I like it. Talk to you soon. :)

Not a problem. BTW, I just saw some USB flash card readers. They're quite cheap and you can even use it to store a lot more stuff provided you have the extra money to buy the flash cards :D

Welp I got the 64 meg version. With XP I didn't even have to load the driver disk. As soon as I plugged it in, XP found it and listed it in Explorer. Just copy and go. It was only $45 for the 64 meg, but I will probably get a bigger one in the future. I highly recommend it !!

Welp I got the 64 meg version. With XP I didn't even have to load the driver disk. As soon as I plugged it in, XP found it and listed it in Explorer. Just copy and go. It was only $45 for the 64 meg, but I will probably get a bigger one in the future. I highly recommend it !!

Sounds cool. Which brand did you get and how much did you get it for? Have you tried using it in a Win98 system?

Originally posted by lokem

Sounds cool. Which brand did you get and how much did you get it for? Have you tried using it in a Win98 system?

I'm not sure Lokum on the brand, it's a company called A4 Tech.
No I haven't been able to use it on a 98 machine yet. All I have at the house is XP. I may over the weekend, if I do, I'll let you know how it works on 98.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket - unless you plan to watch it VERY carefully.

Well back in the days of good old 5 and half inch floppies and everything else files weren't too big so they were okay. As files got bigger and bigger (namely your ms word docs) you could probably put 2 or three on a disk.

Now that we have 128 meg keychains, isn't there a tendency to put all your files on it and carry it around with you wherever you go?

While that may sound good, but lose one, you lose all :)

But then people put all their cards in their wallet too, lose that and you'll suddenly end up in Vegas paying for 10 thousand bucks on the hotel and gambling bills :)

Now that we have 128 meg keychains, isn't there a tendency to put all your files on it and carry it around with you wherever you go? While that may sound good, but lose one, you lose all :)
If I ever get one of those keychain thingies, all I'm gonna do is to use it as "buffer" btw my work PC and my home PC. Doubt that'll keychain drive will hold any really important stuff for long.

But then people put all their cards in their wallet too, lose that and you'll suddenly end up in Vegas paying for 10 thousand bucks on the hotel and gambling bills :)
Now that's a LOT more dangerous. But hey, who carries 2 wallets around anyway? One for cards and the other for the rest of the stuff? :D

Well some of my friends have everything in there, from their social sec id card to their credit card to their debit card to their health insurance card to their bank account receits to their address to their drivers licenses to their library cards...

In short it's really a identity thieft's dream...

The only thing missing is their visas to other countries :)

Originally posted by Mac_Bug
Well some of my friends have everything in there, from their social sec id card to their credit card to their debit card to their health insurance card to their bank account receits to their address to their drivers licenses to their library cards...

In short it's really a identity thieft's dream...

The only thing missing is their visas to other countries :)

OMG!!! That's scary! I get what you mean now. I was thinking of just storing normal files, not personal information :D

I really love it Vehementi, I was working on a friends computer over the weekend and I just kept uploading drivers to it. I have another friend who says "whats the point, I don't get it, I would rather burn a CD" dispite me telling him the many uses. He still wants to burn CD's. Even with CD's on the cheap. Why waist the disks or money when all you have to do is upload and delete when you are done. I am really sold on it for my needs. I will prolly get a 128 or 256 soon. Even with my 64, you could get several MP3's on it.

Why waist the disks or money when all you have to do is upload and delete when you are done.
With 10 and 12x CD-RW speeds, while it might not be as convienient, is still a cheaper alternative to those who have a burner and cannot afford a USB Stick data storage device.

With 10 and 12x CD-RW speeds, while it might not be as convienient, is still a cheaper alternative to those who have a burner and cannot afford a USB Stick data storage device.

Exactly. I won't want to be lugging around a CD writer everywhere I go since I work in client's place. Having one of those USB stick solves a LOT of problem. Besides, you *could* have a chance to brag about it {g}

Originally posted by lokem

Exactly. I won't want to be lugging around a CD writer everywhere I go since I work in client's place. Having one of those USB stick solves a LOT of problem. Besides, you *could* have a chance to brag about it {g}

Yeah, I was bragging to a 15 yr old, he didn't see the need for it. He shot me down. However, I know I have a need for it and that's what's important....Lokum and I are on the same page. I can load drivers or files or whatever and load it somewhere else. Why do I want to burn a disk for drivers I am going to load once.

Thanks Lokum for agreeing with me !! ;)

Yeah, I was bragging to a 15 yr old, he didn't see the need for it. He shot me down. However, I know I have a need for it and that's what's important....Lokum and I are on the same page. I can load drivers or files or whatever and load it somewhere else. Why do I want to burn a disk for drivers I am going to load once.

Thanks Lokum for agreeing with me !! ;)

I guess at that age, they don't need to go around places xferring files from one place to another AND with limited physical space to work with (no offense to those). My whole project team (8 pple) is packed into a room where we share just one row of table and we sit like just one feet apart. Having another ZIP drive or anything like that is really a pain. :D

I think this is an idea whose time has come (I only wish the price was lower for the larger sizes (>128)). Burning CD-R(W)s are great for large file sizes, but it rather cumbersome for files you just need to transfer once or contains a file size does not make efficient use of the CD medium. CDs will still have their place for some time to come, but I see this as the new Zip drive once they are USB 2.0 compatible (tremendous speed increase). The cross platform flexibility is major plus.

Originally posted by setscrew
I think this is an idea whose time has come (I only wish the price was lower for the larger sizes (>128)). Burning CD-R(W)s are great for large file sizes, but it rather cumbersome for files you just need to transfer once or contains a file size does not make efficient use of the CD medium. CDs will still have their place for some time to come, but I see this as the new Zip drive once they are USB 2.0 compatible (tremendous speed increase). The cross platform flexibility is major plus.

Agreed. I'm still putting off my purchase for one of those USB sticks due to the price for a 128MB module. IOmega has a product called MicroDrive (http://www.iomega.com/microdrive/index.html). But I reckon its price is way up there as well :(

You guys gotta see this. Hopefully this hasn't been posted elsewhere:

SmartDisk FireFly 5GB USB
Full review April 8th, 2002

Pros: Extremely portable; attractive look; good performance; no AC adapter required.
Cons: Somewhat pricey at around $225.
Verdict: SmartDisk's FireFly is a truly portable storage solution, with fast transfers and a small size.

Amidst the many USB 2.0 storage devices on the market, few have been able to make the claim of being portable. Sure, these drives are external and can be carried around, but they're not really viable solutions as portable devices. SmartDisk has answered the call with their FireFly 5GB USB portable drive, aimed at taking advantage of USB 2.0 speed, but also being something truly portable.

First Impressions & Installation

Right off the bat, the FireFly will wow you with its impressive size; not impressive in the overwhelming sense, but the lack thereof. In comparison, the FireFly is around the same size as a deck of cards, although a little thinner. Design-wise, the drive is quite nice, with a sleek silver and black look. The USB port is in the back, providing both data and power so you don't have to lug the AC adapter around like with many devices. Two lights adorn the top, indicating drive & power activities.

Checked the price list from PriceGrabber. It's retailing at ~USD$182. I guess this is a LOT more affordable than the memory sticks :D There are higher capacity models as well, but they're only for Macs.

Source: www.hardocp.com

There is software that allows you to use an iPod on a PC now - so that's not an excuse anymore.

LNCPapa

Have you considered a USB hard drive. Although ready built ones are pretty expensive, I have seen some 5.25" and 3.5" USB - IDE enclosures for about £45. Slap in an old hard drive - a couple of gig. The speed isn't great unless you have USB2, but otherwise it should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back