Used Spyware Dr. / XP Opens up in "My Documents"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This issue or one like it may have been addressed before but I can't locate it.

A friend of mine installed Spyware Dr. and did his scan. He found a lot of spyware. All but 2 programs were quarantined immediately. Two others could not be quarantined until the computer was rebooted. After reboot, he got a message about a problem with FAT32. Once he got past that the computer opened up in "My Documents" If he closes "My Documents" all he has is a bare desktop. He has no toobar or "Start" button.

I think he panicked and he uninstalled Spyware Dr. so I suppose he lost his ability to restore. His computer came with Windows XP pre-installed and he doesn't have the actual CD. It's one of those systems where the hard drive is partitioned to where he can restore his operating system from the protected area on his hard drive. I figure that restoration would wipe all his files off and start over from ground zero.

Can anyone give advice on this situation? I'm sure not a computer whiz but I get by (Usually) with one.

Sorry if I asked a question that has already been addressed a dozen times. If that's the case please point me to a link where I can read.

Thanks,
John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back