using a 8x card in agp 4x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check you mobo specs.........i think it is better not to take the risk, too much at stake. Do a search on forums there are a couple re you topic runnin around.

hmm... the product specs on the ati radeon 9250 card make me feel happy! it works on my 4x slot. now to continue saving for that S$70+ card... $2-$4 a day... (singpore dollars)

The specs look ok, i would consider adding a fan since it only has a heatsink (as a precaution, at least in the images i saw it only had a heatsink). Would save you from future trouble.

After reading that thread, i'm left with a few questions...
Most of which has to do with where the person got that info from, why he doesn't back up any statements and similar questions...

You really shouldn't have a problem running an AGP8x in an AGP4x slot... And if you do have problems that is most likely due to your motherboard not following the specs, and not because of the "Signalling Voltage"...

As for which URL to trust, in questions regarding what a card can and can not take, I'd trust the manufacturer over an anonymous post on the internet...

Lastly, what are you planning on using the card for? the Radeon 9250 isn't a top performer, but could be a good buy depending on what you want to use it for...

im currently using an ati rage 128, which has a mere 16Mb of memory.
as long as i can play something like doom 3 im happy. i dont have much cash, im just a student. i have to save up. :)

I can understand that...

If you post a link to a singaporean shop/webshop that ships to sg and your budget, we can try to find you the best card for your money...

If I were you I'd save up $35 more and get this 9550 instead... It costs $105, but is a generation later than the 9250, and thus will be a bit more futureproof than the 9250..

More and more games are starting to require P.S better than 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4 and thus buying a card that only supports 1.1 now will not be a too good investment...

Unfortunately, newegg only ships to the states, and as weijie90 lives in Singapore, it doesn't help...

But aside from that, thank you for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back