Using a router as an access point

Status
Not open for further replies.

twite

I recently upgraded my netgear router to a more powerful linksys router to extend my network range, and i also bought a cantenna hi gain antenna, but it still isn't getting a sufficient signal. Now i relize that i should have bought an access point in the first place, but i dont want to spend anymore money. So my question is, can i use my old netgear wireless router as an access point? Basically put it between my house and the other house and rely the signal wireless, (cant be corded). If not then i will just got out and by an access point but im just checking my options. Thanks.

Read The Friendly Manual and see if this specific router can work as a wireless repeater or not? (Or maybe at least disclose the exact models of your routers?)

Ok, thanks, i wasn't sure if it was necessary to include the model #. The netgear is a wgr614 v5 and the linksys is WRT54GR.

Also i am starting to wonder if the Cantanna even works with the adapter in the other computer. This is the adapter for the computer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124063.

It has dual antenna's and thats why i am wondering if it even works. I took one antenna out, and the the signal goes to 0, with the cantanna plugged in.

Give the wireless router and ip address within the subnet of your network, disable DHCP on it and you should be able to use it just as a WAP.

Reading the friendly Netgear manual.. Looks like it can't function as a wireless repeater.

Nodsu said:
Reading the friendly Netgear manual.. Looks like it can't function as a wireless repeater.
which means, if the range is sufficient, the device will have it's own subnet in the
other house and careful configuration for routing and filesharing will be necessary.

it's still likely to be a viable solution :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back