Using external HDD's for backing up data

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjshenal

Hello Folks:

Need some expert opinions on using an external USB or Firewire HDD's for backing up Data. I'm thinking if purchasing one for this purpose.

What are the advantages/disadvantages?

Are they easy to install also? Do you have to partition and format these drives?

Thanks for the information

rjshenal
:)

They are a piece of cake.

Just plug it in... And it usually works in either PC or Mac. And it works without drivers, unless you are using Windows 98 or older. Even most flavors of Linux will pick up external USB drives.

You can then partition or format it accordingly just like a regular hard disk.

Disadvantages? USB 2.0 is slightly faster than Firewire, which still transfers just a tad slower than internal drives. Not everyone has USB 2.0 ports.

Advantages - Removable storage allows a safe way to store your data. It's also convenient that you can easily take the drive and use it in virtually any computer.

AND if you decide to go USB, make sure your system is 2.0 compatible (or get yourself a card) otherwise the speed is greatly diminished.

Dont's hesitate. Get one now they're GGGREEEEAAATTT! They work so well. I carry mine to skool. They're light, they're fast, they look cool. That's about it........(whilst coughing)a bit expensive...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back