Using multiplyers on my p4 motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamingguy27

I have an old 1.50GHZ P4, with a MSI- MS6534 Motherboard. In the manual it says it supports overclocking and the multiplyers are on the bios menu, but when i increase the multiplyers from:

15X (core ratio) X 100MHZ (fsb), to any other core ratio it does nothing! even when set to 8x or 24x.

And even stranger the bios defualts are 8x core ratio which would give me an 800mhz p4, when i have a 1.50GHZ P4!

Overclocking using the fsb however does work, but it would be usfull if i could get the multiplyers to work.

Thanks! Alex

Msi have tools on their website to allow you increase the multiplier and voltage in windows i found it quite handy. You just let the utility do its work and it finds the maximum stable OC for your processor.

Thanks for the help but the utilities do not work on my mb due to its age.

I flashed the bios and tried again, it still will not overclock.

have you attempted to verify your changes in windows using cpu-z? when overclocking, try to push the clocks up in small increments.

I guess everyone has forgotten that Intel processors have been multiplier hardlocked since 1997 ?

Short of getting an engineering sample or a demo CPU, not hell nor high water will change the multiplier on a desktop p4. It is hardlocked on the CPU itself.

No luck, cpu-z still indicates cpu as 1.50GHZ whatever the multiplier. It does work though because I increased the FSB and it dectected the change.

In the manual it says to disable "spread spectrum" when overclocking, but even when disabled or enabled it does nothing. The values of my spread spectrum are somthing like:

+/- 5.0

+0.38

Disabled.

I have no idea which of these spectrums to use. The one its normally set on is 0.38.

I think my cpu is a Williamette, and my chipset is a Brookdale 82845

I have also included a picture of the flashing options on my BIOS, do any of them allow overclocking?!? I dont have a clue what they mean.

Thanks Alex

Attachments

• BIOS.jpg
    BIOS.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 6
No p4 existed in 1997. 1997 was the era of the P2.

You cannot overclock the p4 via multipliers; give it up.

Your only option is FSB overclocking.

you're going to have other considerations when you push the fsb up, as that will tend to speed up other buses with it (depends a bit on your chipset/board). like i said, increase the speeds in small increments.

Thanks

Cheers for the help, i will invest in ram heatsinks and begin to overclock.

Shame about the multipliers but fsb should work as well.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back