Verizon reveals the Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Ultra and Droid Maxx, introduces new...

Justin Kahn

verizon motorola droid mini droid ultra motorola arm cpu maxx droid droid mini droidmaxx motorola x8 mobile computing system touchless controls

Right in line with the latest rumors, Verizon revealed three new Motorola DROID devices at its event in New York City today. One not so expected announcement was that these devices would be powered a new Motorola multicore SoC (System-on-a-Chip). The Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System features a total of eight tightly integrated cores dediciated to specific functions -- there's a contextual computing core, another for natural language processing, a dual-core Qualcomm Krait CPU, and a quad-core Adreno GPU.

Invites to today's event previously suggested that the Droid Mini, Droid Ultra and Droid Maxx would be on their way. We now have official pricing on Motorola's first new handsets since being acquired by Google:

Droid Mini: $99 - A compact design with an edge-to-edge 4.3-inch HD display and wireless charging capabilities.

Droid Ultra: $199 - The thinnest 4G LTE smartphone available, measuring 7.18mm, and with a 5-inch HD display. The Ultra will be available in Black and Red models.

Droid Maxx: $299 - Features wireless charging and a 3500mAh battery that gives users nearly two days of battery life on a single charge, making it the longest lasting 4G LTE smartphone available.

All three devices will hit store shelves later this Summer on August 20 with the regular 2-year contract.

Motorola's new Droid line is packed in a much thinner frame this time around along with some interesting new software features that work in conjunction with the “natural language processing" core in the Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System. The new Maxx has been confirmed to carry a 48 hour battery life, a charge Motorola claims is the longest in its class while boasting that the Ultra is the thinnest 4G LTE smartphone available. All three models retain the Kevlar finish, except this time its glossy as opposed to a sold matte finish.

As for software additions, they contain some of the rumored Moto X features like now confirmed Touchless Controls, Active Display messages and the ability to access the devices camera with a flick of the wrist. Touchless Controls and Active Display basically allow users to do almost anything without unlocking the phone like "make calls, send texts, get directions, play music, set a reminder and preview notifications hands-free…"

Much of this is made possible by the new Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System, the company claims it doubles the graphics speed, enhances the CPU capabilities by nearly 25% and allows for the devices to “always be listening” without eating away at your battery life.

You can get preorder information over on Verizon's site.

Permalink to story.

Looks good, I know a lot of people have been waiting for, and will be very happy with, the Maxx.

Those look... beautiful, I think I want, I love Moto build quality my Bionic is solidly made. Now if only I can get one of these without losing my Unlimited 4G account.

My current Motorola Razz Max $299 msrp with corp discount to $249 works very well although just dual core it has Jelly Bean on there. To me these newer version brings are larger screen faster CPU. I hope the top one still allows you to use the Phone in Europe where the one I have does.

I see the newer one is the same price still. Oh my, but with the corp discount it will be $249. I have to check my contract. Might be next version of this though. Those who get it? Enjoy it..

Tech keeps changing..

Droid mini with x8 arm processor for 99$, sold!

Samsung, LG's competition, has already released for the Philippine market android jelly bean flavored smartphones (single core processor, 4gb internal storage) in the 80-120$ (~43 Philippine peso to 1$ u.s.) price range.

Great phones. I feel like this will take the spotlight away from the moto x though since the moto x will have a dual core. I bet the dual core rumor is false with this new x8 CPU.

Looks good. But I'm not sure they understand the use of locking the phone. It's so you can't accidentally make calls, send texts, set reminders, etc.

Droid mini with x8 arm processor for 99$, sold!

Samsung, LG's competition, has already released for the Philippine market android jelly bean flavored smartphones (single core processor, 4gb internal storage) in the 80-120$ (~43 Philippine peso to 1$ u.s.) price range.
It looks like the most sensible & best value for money of the bunch, it's the one I'd choose if I were in the market.

The new revamped Samsung galaxy y with 1ghz single core processor and 4gb internal storage, 3g, wifi b/g/n is being sold around 5500php (~127.91$ at 43 Philippine peso to 1$ u.s.)

other cheap Samsung smartphone variants:
1ghz single core processor and 4gb internal storage, wifi b/g/n, without 3g, around 4500php.
833mhz single core processor and 4g internal storage, wifi b/g/n, without 3g, around 3900php.

I re-read the article made by Justin Kahn (emphasis mine):
All three devices will hit store shelves later this Summer on August 20 with the regular 2-year contract.
the new LG smartphone variants will probably retail around 250$ off-contract. :)

The new revamped Samsung galaxy y with 1ghz single core processor and 4gb internal storage, 3g, wifi b/g/n is being sold around 5500php (~127.91$ at 43 Philippine peso to 1$ u.s.)

other cheap Samsung smartphone variants:
1ghz single core processor and 4gb internal storage, wifi b/g/n, without 3g, around 4500php.
833mhz single core processor and 4g internal storage, wifi b/g/n, without 3g, around 3900php.

I re-read the article made by Justin Kahn (emphasis mine):

the new LG smartphone variants will probably retail around 250$ off-contract. :)

They're a little too basic even for my non discriminating phone taste but they're sure to sell like hot cakes and they'll get the job done at a push.

The lack of 1080p screens and only having a dual core processor is a bit disappointing. Motorola's flagship release just doesn't have the firepower to match the S4 and One. On a side note this is another year Motorola has kept their flagship device only on Verizon; I suppose that means another year of missed sales and lost community mind share.

Back