Very low BF2 fps on a respectable system - Any help greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ALright, I have a decent, not amazing rig. However when I'm playing Bf2 even on the lowest of the lowest settings I get maybe 15-20 FPS MAx, understandably, its really crappy to play. I dont know whats going on, any help is appreciated.

P4 3.0GHZ
ABIT Duramax aa8 intel 925x chipset
120GB HD SATA
1GB DDR2 RAM
Geforce 6600 256MB (NOT GT)

WTF is going on

My friend has a

P4 3.4GHZ

1GB PC2 DDR 400

6800GT

AND A 160 7,2K RPM DRIVE

he has to play at medium to get desent play....

What I'm trying to say is, that this game requires alot...

Now I'm not saying that you aren't metting the minimal specs, but it does not mean you will play the game at settings/features you want.

Hope This Helps...

Yeah though, but as I said, this is at the LOWEST minimum settings in BF2 and i still get quite choppy play, surely my system can do better?

Delete the game. Delete your drivers (ALL drivers including video card, motherboard, etc;) run a disk defragment, run a disk cleanup, scan for viruses, adware and spyware, restart your computer, download the latest drivers, restart your computer after an hour (give it some time to rest) and it should be good from there. (Remember to get latest patch for BF2) And well, if you want to play at highest settings, you should change your video card to at least a 7600GT and 2GB is a MUST when wanting to play Battlefield 2 at highest settings (I've been on other forums) Also, maybe I'm being a little bit biased but if you're not an Intel fanboy or something and if you're planning on getting a new computer for gaming, try an AMD processor, they're generally faster in terms of gaming. But if you're going to build a new computer, just wait for Intel Conroe, that should be 20%+ faster than AMD processors at the moment for most applications. Also, I don't have a personal preference for AMD but I heard they're better. I use an Intel Pentium III 800Mhz processor puke:
If your motherboard can use it, get a 74 (or 150) GB Raptor because they have 10,000RPM which makes most applications amazingly fast. :monkey:

ALright, I'll give that a go. Just wondering, what kind of fps should I be getting at low settings and at medium. ALso i know to get a gforce 6800 cheap, is it worth getting? Thanks for the help guys, you dont know how thankfull i am.

The 7600GT is only a few more bucks than the 6800 but is much better so get that. I heard that it also has some new features that the 7900 series came with too. I think maybe at least 40FPS at low settings.

OK, but i found out about the x800gto2, which is essentially a x850xt.
So 7600GT or x800GTO2? Whats your pick?

Cool, the X800GTO2 only has a memory clock of 980MHz and a core clock of 400Mhz. That's pathetic compared to the 7600GT which has a core clock of 590Mhz and a memory clock of 1500Mhz (eVGA in newegg) Howver if you got some more cash to burn, get the 7900GT, it's only 100 more bucks.

Remember, core clock isn't everything ;) For example, my 2GHz Athlon64 will outgame a 3.2GHz Pentium 4... and a 450MHz 6800Ultra will outperform my 500MHz 6600GT. Dont look at clock speed (unless the two cards are the same, i.e. a 500MHz 6600GT vs a 550MHz 6600GT). Benchmarks = win.

Anyway, make sure the drivers are all well and good and that you have the latest patch. I have a A64 3200+ with 1gig ram and a 6600gt and I run BF2 on medium-high settings at a solid 30fps (which is fine for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back