Very strange IDE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there

My PC system has been set up and running for about a year now. I built it myself and so i know a lot about it - but i am really stuck with this one. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8IK1100. Anyway my PC started being weird when the cd drive wouldn't open and i got a cd stuck in there. So i tried a restart - this is where the problem began - the PC just hung right from the restart - no start-up screen or anything, and the HDD light is constantly on. Oh and both cd-drives and the HDD seemed to have no power to them, or they seemed to have NOT booted up. Anyway i turned it off, opened it up - and after fiddling around i realised that if i removed the IDE cables from the motherboard, the drives would boot up - the CD drives booted up and i you can clearly hear the hard drive spin up. If i plug them back in, they dont work? Its as though something has been reversed - they only work when NOT plugged into the motherboard. I really dont have a clue whats happened here. I've done the usual, unplugged all the leads, chips, power etc - and nothing works. Ive taken the motherboard battery out for 10 mins and still i cant reset it.

Anyone ever had a problem like this - im sooooo confused.

any ideas?

PS i found some markings on the motherboard - it says CLR_CMOS 1-2, NORMAL 2-3. Then there are 3 soldering points -one on its own with a number 1 underneath, then two more to the right of this one and under the third one there is a number 3. If i want to clear the CMOS do i have to place a flat head screwdriver over the 1 and 2 solder points? If so, do i do this with the PC switched on, or off??

regards JP

J...
Welcome to Techspot !

First DO NOT touch your Mb with a Screw driver.That jumper shouldbe the manner you use to reset your CMOS to default settings.You should go to your manual or Web site and confirm how it is done (There are different ways depending on the Brand)
Ususally you disconnect power >Pull the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for a moment ,then back to 1-2, But this just an Example.
You probably need to reset anyway considering the problem you describe.
If I understand you right ; when you remove the IDE cable and start the machine you can hear the ROM and HDD spin and lights come on ,But you are not able to boot in this circumstance, Right.
I suspect you may have reversed the #1 pin on the drive or Mb .Most drive and Mb's will have the #1 pin indicated by a "1" just look closely.
Then starting with your HDD attach them 1 at a time (Confirm jumper settings,Master Slave,etc and do not use Cable select)reboot after each connection and do not add more drves until you have corrected the previous installation.
Get back to us and tell us howe you did.

"Ususally you disconnect power >Pull the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for a moment ,then back to 1-2, But this just an Example.
You probably need to reset anyway considering the problem you describe."

I DO NOT HAVE JUMPERS ON THE MB FOR THIS - THERE ARE 3 SOLDER SPOTS 1,2,3, AND ON THE MB ITSELF IT SAYS CMOS_CLR, NEAR TO THESE SOLDER SPOTS - I GUESS CMOS_CLR IS TO CLEAR THE CMOS?

"If I understand you right ; when you remove the IDE cable and start the machine you can hear the ROM and HDD spin and lights come on ,But you are not able to boot in this circumstance, Right."

CORRECT

I suspect you may have reversed the #1 pin on the drive or Mb .Most drive and Mb's will have the #1 pin indicated by a "1" just look closely.
Then starting with your HDD attach them 1 at a time (Confirm jumper settings,Master Slave,etc and do not use Cable select)reboot after each connection and do not add more drves until you have corrected the previous installation.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE NUMBER 1 PIN - THE NUMBER 1 IDE PIN?
WHAT IS CABLE SELECT?

regards J

ive tried every combination possible - the HD as a master on both IDE ports, the cd drive as master on both IDE ports (only to see if it would show any activity), ive tried the HD as a master and the cd drive as a slave and vice versa - nothing worked. ITs simple - if the device is not plugged into the IDE port, it will show activity - flashing lights, spinning up etc - if it is plugged into the IDE port it will not show any activity. Is there anyway to reset to the IDE ports - this is the problem i think, as i have tried the HD and CD drive on other motherboards and they work fine. Ive tried a fully functioning HD on the problematic motherboard and it did not work.

Whether there are pins or solder joints is not important.I have never heard of using a screwdiver to do this operation. I cannot see your Board.
I advised you to check your board Manual /Website to confirm exactly how to reset the CMOS.What I gave you is just an example.
You are correct where it says "CLR_CMOS" is where it is done ,You must confirm How!

Drives have Jumper settings next to the power connector, usually there are 3 choises. Master ,Slave , Cable Select. the last one is an automatic way that your motherboard can determine the setting based on it's attached position on the IDE cable.However it is not reliable and if you are getting errors it is best to actually determine the correct setting manually eg Master/ Slave.

Ide cables usually have a red line on one side running the length of the cable ,that is the Number 1 pin. On the Mb there is usually a small # 1 marked near one end of the IDE connection.On the back of most drives it will be marked the same. Or there should be a Notch in the connector itself that corresponds by matching notch to small square nipple.
Tell us how you make out.

there was never a problem with the set up of the IDE drives, the set up has worked for months with no problems. Everything is connected the way it should be - how it has always been. Its something to do with the motherboard i guess.
ive tried every combination possible - the HD as a master on both IDE ports, the cd drive as master on both IDE ports (only to see if it would show any activity), ive tried the HD as a master and the cd drive as a slave and vice versa - nothing worked. ITs simple - if the device is not plugged into the IDE port, it will show activity - flashing lights, spinning up etc - if it is plugged into the IDE port it will not show any activity. Is there anyway to reset to the IDE ports - this is the problem i think, as i have tried the HD and CD drive on other motherboards and they work fine. Ive tried a fully functioning HD on the problematic motherboard and it did not work.

It says in the MB manual to remove the battery for 30 seconds to clear the CMOS - ive done this, and there is no difference.

If you are not able to see the bios screen at initial boot to see if the bios recognizes any of the drives,even after a reset ,Your Mb may be the culprit or more specifically the IDE controller .Is your warranty gone? Were you able to release the disk in your drive? Often there is a small hole next to the door.You use a Paper clip to release it.

yeah i got the cd out, i just unplugged the IDE cable from the motherboard - as soon as i did the CD drive became active - and i got it out.

How long is the warranty on a gigabyte motherboard - only had it about 11 months i guess.

If the IDE controller has gone - will i need it fixing/replacing etc?

PS it says CMOS_CLR is 1-2, and NORMAL is 2-3 if that makes any sense.

BTW; I just you might try new IDE cables they can go bad.Also look very carefully in the connections to make sure the pins are not bent.
Other than that ,Your Mb may be Kaput.

PS it says CMOS_CLR is 1-2, and NORMAL is 2-3 if that makes any sense.

Yes if you check my first reply ,the example I gave refers to that only reversed. There is usually a jumper block in the normal position for normal operation of the computer. But you said there are no pins there so I don't get it.
Your warranty should be at least 1 year,I suggest you get back to your supplier ASAP

The controlller is in chipset on the board , you cannot fix that.However , there are IDE controller software in the bios and the O/S in Windows if you could get running enough to flash bios and then update controller drivers it might fix your problem.
You should try to boot from a 98 floppy to see if you can get a dos screen.

Hi, i realise this is an old thread, just found on google...

I have exactly the same drive, at first i thought it was my dvd drive, so i tried a new cable, same problem, then i bought an ew dvd drive (been meaning to get one that matched the colour of the case for ages!), worked fine, 3 days later same problem.

Did you manage to fix it, i've only had this board around 2 months, seems odd to just stop working randomly, same problem if i uplug the cable from the board fine, if i plug the cable in, without the drive being attached no start..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back