Very weird problem on ibm laptop audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

primacarne

i recently purchased an ibm thinkpad t42 laptop...it is very clean and appears as if it was maintained very good...

i used the restore discs to clear out everything and get a fresh install, installed all updates and drivers etc etc...everything is up to date...i double checked or triple in some cases...

well with that said, i have no sound from my speaker...BUT i do have sound if i plug in headphones into the jack.

ive never experianced a problem like this ever....assuming that the speaker isnt broken, what could possibly be wrong? thanks in advance for any help you have to offer!

Do you have anything in the Audio properties in the Control Panel? Does it say that you have an audio device installed? What about a volume control in the taskbar? Check and see if it is not muted

Tmagic650 said:
Do you have anything in the Audio properties in the Control Panel? Does it say that you have an audio device installed? What about a volume control in the taskbar? Check and see if it is not muted

yes it shows sound drivers installed and yes everything is turned up and nothing is muted..i can hear sound when using headphones just not the external speaker....but ive made a new discovery in the last 10 minutes while in device manager...i clicked show hidden drivers and the non plug and play menu opened up and their is 1 thing in there that doesnt have a driver....it is PMEM.....and when i open it to view it, the device instance ID is ROOT\LEGACY_PMEM\0000

update....my computer froze right after i posted that.....i turned it back on and went to a website, and the sound works....i swear this thing is haunted

How did you update the drivers/software? I hope you used the latest version of the IBM/Lenovo Software Installer program and didn't do it manually one by one ;)

Just in case, test the system RAM and hard drive.

Nodsu said:
How did you update the drivers/software? I hope you used the latest version of the IBM/Lenovo Software Installer program and didn't do it manually one by one ;)

Just in case, test the system RAM and hard drive.

yes the other day when i updated everything i just let the ibm installer do its magic....the ram sticks are brand new not even 2 months old, both kingston 1gb sticks for a total of 2gb....how would i check the hdd? i did chk disk and it came back clear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back