Very weird problems after HD install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought and installed a 120GB Seagate HD and a Plextor CD/DVD/R today. I saw that the inside of my computer was very dirty and (carefully) unplugged and cleaned everything before the installation.

I have a fairly old computer and most of the parts are 3-4 years old, except for the network card and the sound card, which I bought recently. My specs are:

MSI KT3 Ultra mainboard
AMD Athlon 1600 cpu
2x 256 DDR RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 soundcard
Linksys Wireless Network card
ASUS GeForce 3 vid card
Pioneer DVD-ROM
Plextor CD-R/DVD-R (just installed)
120 GB Seagate HD (just installed)
60 GB Maxtor HD (my boot drive)

After I installed the new hardware, the computer would turn off by itself after 5-10 seconds, right as Windows is about to load. I tried fixing this problem for a long time and finally tried removing the little coin-shape battery. For whatever reason, this allowed my computer to run Windows until my desktop begins loading, and then it turns off by itself. Finally, I played around with the CMOS setup changing these 2 settings gives me a stable system:

Disable Spread spectrum
Set CPU FSB frequency to 100MHz

The latter setting underclocks my CPU to 1.05GHz, whereas I ran it at 1.70GHz with no problem before I installed the new hard drive and burner. I tried changing the frequency to 133MHz; this causes it the computer to turn off about 5 seconds after booting. Then I tried 166MHz and this causes the computer to turn off by itself almost instantly. I had to use jumpers to reset CMOS to on both occasions to get booted. I'm typing this on a stable run now, and the new hard drive and burner are working fine. But, I'm at 1.05GHz instead of 1.7

This is not a heat problem, I don't think, because I checked the CPU temperatures and they are at ~50C, maxing out at 53C. I'm guessing this is a power supply problem, since I added a hard drive. My new burner also replaced a slower, malfunctioning, older one. A friend told me 300V should be all an old computer like mine needs and I have a 350V Enermax power supply, albeit one that's 3-4 years old. Should I get it replaced? Or maybe I damaged something while taking apart, cleaning, and putting together my computer. I'm fairly knowledgeable in assembling computers and I built my system myself, but can a static discharge or forgetting to plug something in cause these kind of problems? I would think it wouldn't even let my computer start up. I'm still running without my battery, by the way - putting in the battery again causes the computer to beep like crazy because it can't detect my video card. Any ideas what the hell is going on?

it could very well be a PSU issue. PSUs degrade over time. a 2 year old PSU has lost 30% of it's efficiency due to capacitor aging. And your CMOS battery may need replacing... easy fix.... keep your memory timings at auto. Don't play with the FSB - that will cause problems. If you suspect bad ram test it with memtest 86+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back