VGA Driver "Missing" Installing ATI Catalyst Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ATI Radeon 9800 XT on my Windows XP and I was trying to update my graphics card drivers with the latest Omega drivers (which had a screwed up install or something missing the aticdxx.ini file) and it couldn't be uninstalled when the installed screwed up. So I deleted the thing, used Driver Cleaner and tried installing the ATI Catalyst 6.7.

Now, whichever drivers I try to install, I keep getting a failed installed and the error message "Try to set up your adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup".

I tried to google a fix, none of it worked. I tried uninstalling the error-listed VGA adapter from the Device Manager and then running install which didn't work. Rebooting (with safe mode or without) after that also didn't work (it popped up with "New hardware found" after the reboot, but it couldn't find the proper drivers).

Reformatting isn't possible right now for me, and I'd rather not in any case. Someone here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic55154.html had the same problem but as far as I can see it wasn't resolved. I tried the older Catalyst 6.5 anyway also, but the same error pops up.

Windows Update doesn't help either and I can't find my Windows XP disc or my graphics card CD.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

try going to device manager, right clicking My Computer -> properties ->device manager. you should see you vid card through a yellow icon. click on that to get properties. unistall the driver then try reinstalling your updated drivers [catalyst cont. c.] see if you can get it working that way.
-good luck
-JOSH

Tried that already, didn't work :/

Did a reinstall in-between it's always the "Try to set up your adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup" error when trying to install the drivers and the failing to find proper drivers when I'm trying to install the "New Hardware" found popup thing.

You need to download and use Driver Cleaner Pro at:
http://www.drivercleaner.net

You have to run it as Administrator in Safe Mode. It will purge your system of all drivers/old.. and when rebooting afterwards, the add-new hardware wizards will return (hit cancel for both- as it'll try to add primary/secondary).

At this stage, Windows will mount them as VGA Compatible and the Catalyst installs will work.

Sharkfood said:
You need to download and use Driver Cleaner Pro at:
http://www.drivercleaner.net

You have to run it as Administrator in Safe Mode. It will purge your system of all drivers/old.. and when rebooting afterwards, the add-new hardware wizards will return (hit cancel for both- as it'll try to add primary/secondary).

At this stage, Windows will mount them as VGA Compatible and the Catalyst installs will work.

I followed everything properly but it didn't work. Still the same error.

I did notice however in the Driver Cleaner, I could run the ATI cleaning filter repeatedly and it always cleaned. My account is Administrator though.

EDIT: After looking through it, the Driver Cleaner always cannot delete some registry files and some leftover dlls (sometimes its 0 sometimes its a few, I've tried uninstalling reinstalling manymanymany times now) The files are "in use" and cannot be deleted, and my system is in safe mode and my user account on XP is Computer Administrator. No idea how relevant this info is but I still cannot install my drivers without that error.

EDIT EDIT: Okay now I can get to the stage where the Driver Cleaner cleans out all the .dlls but leaves some registry keys and they CANNOT be deleted. I doubt they matter that much anyway unless I'm seriously wrong. I've tried Driver Cleaner, trying to manually install standard VGA, Catalyst Uninstaller, Device Manager removing all the leftover drivers and even tried playing with the "Enable VGA mode" at Windows Startup (F5 when restarting, choose "Enable VGA") Still the same error everytime.

The part that bites me is that the standard VGA is probably installed, I cancel on both of the Found New Hardware, it says "a problem occured during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not work correctly" but on Other Devices it loads a Video Controller and Video Controller (VGA Compatible). This is what I get when I do proper uninstalls and Driver Cleaner.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP :(

woohoo I got it fixed, I love my friend.

Whenever you do major system changes especially to files affecting Windows Systems, a Restore Point is created. I did a system restore, uninstalled drivers, restarted, installed the fresh drivers.

Although I don't know how to fix the original problem I suspect it has to do with leftover files in the registry etc which could not be deleted.

Thanks everyone anyway for your help.

EDIT: Hmm but now for some reason my windows boot-up time even after multiple restarts is wayyyyyyyyyy longer then normal, any fixes there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back