VGA Problem on Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have a motherboard which wont work with my Raedon 9550 (no monitor display though mouse and keyboard lights on) though it works when i use my old Geforce 4 MMX 440. I have tested the Raedon 9550 in other boards and it works, if someone can please help me with this problem that would be great.

I was thinking maybe a bios setting though i couldnt find anything that would resolve this problem. I have also tried tilting the card a bit just incase its not lining up in the AGP spot on my motherboard though it still doesnt work.

Any help would be great thanks.

video

I have a radeon 9550
is it a agp or pci
whith your old card check your bios
shouldn't the bios recognize the card? If so, it usually shows.
check all bios pci and agp settings.
is there a built in video on mobo
if so, it might make it the default. and you can check by plugging in monitor
usually you can disable in bios
when switching , removing, expansion cards i think you need to unplug power cord
you may also need to set jumpers settings, switches etc.
if agp enable support in bios
if bios detects something different, it might detect as an error.
your boot might halt.
thats all i know youve probably already check all this

Is your video card AGP or PCI?
Also, does your mobo have integrated video? It can cause certain problems when you add another video card.

I believe the Raedon 9550 is AGP 8X only, no PCI-E version. Did you uninstall the old MMX 440 in Device Manager first? Also best to uninstall the nvidia drivers too as was suggested. Then reboot and enter BIOS. in the Advanced Chipset menu there should be AGP aperture setting. Set this to 64MB or 128MB.
AGPX4 or X8 (set it to 8X).

it wouldnt be the drivers because then you wouldnt be able to install any card in it when u put the first gfx card in it... Its an agp 8x card but it can drop back to 4x and yes ive tried different appature size settings.. though the bios will reset this to suit your card or go back to standard settings when a new card is installed.

btw the card WAS working in this computer but then randomly stopped.

The only conclusions i can come to is that the bios is corrupt and when im resetting its still corrupt or that the psu is broken and cuz the raedon has higher volts ( as far as i know ) than the mx440 that part of the psu cant handle the card with the higher volts? ( be aware i hardly know anything about psu's except how many watts you need for wat pc :) )

The BSOD link my sig has a link to ExtremePSUCalculator. Go there and enter your system specs, it does the rest. You need a PSU with at least 400W and 20 Amps on the 12V rail.

Yes, it could be the PSU. A radeon 9550 shouldn´t draw too much power, but if you have a weak PSU, that could be the cause of the problem.
Check that out.

Good luck!

it wouldnt be the drivers because then you wouldnt be able to install any card in it when u put the first gfx card in it...
That's not necessarily true. It could be the drivers. Windows has a native standard VGA driver that will allow a low resolution display even if you don't have an Nvidia or ATI driver installed. When you uninstall the old driver you still have a basic driver to use before installing the new driver. So if you have an old Nvidia driver installed at the same time as an ATI driver, you could have a conflict.

Hiero said:
nah i did that my psu is fine for the job.
How many amps do you have on the 12 volt rail? Take a look at the label on the side of the PSU. You'll have to remove your case side to see it. In my sig line is a link to a picture of a label for an example. In that example the 12Volt rail has 28 Amps and the 5V has 32amps.

If your BIOS was corrupt there's noway this would be the only symptom(I'm pretty sure or it would be a small miracle). It most likely wouldn't even POST, let alone boot to Windows (assuming the MMX440 installed).

OK your mobo only seems to support AGP2.0 or 1.5V (which can be X4 and X8). An new style AGP 8X (0.8V) card like the 9550 is compatible with A8V mobo, but only at 4X speed. You need to set the AGP speed to X4 in the BIOS.

the mobo was working with the 9550 card though ?

when i set it to 4x it still does it.

ive flashed the bios as well but it didnt seem to do anything to fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back