Votes: 7 43.8%
  • VIA

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which chipset provides the best overall performance on a board? Intel produce their processors, doesn't this mean that their supporting chipsets should be the best?

I pass... beings we just talked it to death :dead: here -->
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=339
http://www.3dspotlight.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166
We've had so much discussion of this, that I don't care to participate now.
Originally posted by Phantasm66
I agree. I think the whole thing is getting a little tired to me. Buy what you can afford, and get the best that you can for the money that you have to spend. If that happens to be AMD then sobeit, if that happens to be Intel then sobeit.
Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.

I prefer Intel chipset. They are far more stable than VIA chipset. It takes a few driver updates for VIA chipset to become stable with others.

It depends. I don't think that Intel make very good AMD compatible chipsets ;)
If you look at how intel crippled the first P4s I would have to say Via. They seem to be somewhat an industry leader....

Originally posted by Riot
Which chipset provides the best overall performance on a board? Intel produce their processors, doesn't this mean that their supporting chipsets should be the best?

No not really. Intel has made a host of chipsets some good, some quite terrible. They tend to make some for some markets too. Like the 810 with integrated everything. And VIA was the first to offer DDR support with the P-4. Intel is sometimes forced into making chipsets too, like the explanation above, which was caused by the dismal performance of the P-4 with Rambus compaired to the AMD with a host of DDR chipsets. And because if AMD and their low prices, Intel was forced to adopt the dying SDRAM market with P-4 to compete with AMD.

But to say that one is better than the other, I wouldn't say either is the catch all answer all chipset out there.

It's kinda sad that Intel is dropping RAMBUS from their desktop line. DDR is basically playing catching game with RAMBUS. =)

Re: Re: VIA / INTEL chipset

Originally posted by boeingfixer
They tend to make some for some markets too.

That I can't argue with :haha:
But Intel mainly supports their own processors with chipsets.
Also your comment about Intel have made some good, some terrible. I think this can be said about any company, I know quite a few users that are using old BX boards with slokets and modifications so they can run newer celerons overclocked etc. and are very reluctant to give up their old Intel boards.

Lets look at the previous generation of chipsets...

Socket A:
AMD 760
Ali MaGiK
Via KT266A
SiS What ever the number was ;)

Now we all know that the Via chipset out performs AMDs and AMD are the ones who manufacture the CPUs...

Multiple Sockets for Intel:
Intel 8xx
Via
SiS

If your spouting that Intel are great for integrated everything, SiS actually have about the same record for integrated video since they both tried to compete in the video GPU market a few years back and failed and with drew, and hardly anyone who builds their own PC wants integrated audio and video anyway.

The first P4 chipset i850 didn't really take advantage of the Rambus memory that it had to be paired with (that 423 socket ewww :( ), so you ended up with a hobbled P4, the i845 helped greatly with its increased pin count for the socket. If you go to either www.anandtech.com or www.tomshardware.com and check out the performance differences between the various chipset manufacturers you'll usually find there isn't a massive amount of difference. Again as with their processors you usually end up paying a premium price for Intel chipsets.

Now Via are almost forcing Intel to release the i845D chipset by providing the first DDR solution for the P4 and having it provide the same performance levels memorywise as the P4 with rambus.
I know a lot of people hate Via because of the whole SB!Live episode but you really have to appreciate how much they are helping to push the market forward.
I'm not saying that Intel are bad, I mean look at their track history, but when presented with a question that says "Intel Or Via" I have to say Via as they aren't tied down to supporting one memory type or one CPU make.

For pure stability I am voting for Intel. For innovation and speed I would say Via but as I type this I cant help but think of the SiS line as well. The new 645 chipset is a real "head turner" I know SiS isnt the most well known company but they are definately coming up in the ranks. Last year, when they teamed up with ECS to make a low cost line of high performing motherboards they hit the market with a winner K7S5A which was 735 based. It is an AMD mobo and got alot of excellent reviews. My next mobo purchase may be a SiS 645 based mobo that supports DDr memory and an Intel processor.

My personnal favorite at the moment is the AMD 760. Not by choice mind you. When I bought my Giga-Byte board, the 760 was the only one I could get, with the features I wanted that was availible to me. It is not the fastest, but it has been VERY stable. I will probably switch to the VIA sometime, I have no complaints with it other than some of the little bugs it has.

Thanks for the info Arris and SVT !!

My mobo has a AMD 760 Northbridge and a VIA686B Southbridge chipset. I personally like my AMD 760 also, boeing, as it has been stable and reliable since I got it. Granted, like said before, it isn't the fastest chip around, but it works for what I need it for. Also, I've done some work with WPCREDIT to tweak the chipset so it performs a little better than most!!! ;)

I want to dive into the VIA pool soon, I guess I will when I build my next computer...

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
My mobo has a AMD 760 Northbridge and a VIA686B Southbridge chipset. I personally like my AMD 760 also, boeing, as it has been stable and reliable since I got it. Granted, like said before, it isn't the fastest chip around, but it works for what I need it for. Also, I've done some work with WPCREDIT to tweak the chipset so it performs a little better than most!!! ;)

I want to dive into the VIA pool soon, I guess I will when I build my next computer...

Super, what 760 board do you have ? I have the Giga-Gyte GA-7DXR, Mabee we should have a computer building party topped off with a killer LAN party !!

Anyone else in ??

Check that boeing, I have an AMD 761 Northbridge chipset and a VIA VT82C686B southbridge on an Abit KG7-RAID board. Still though close enough. :)

I'm up for a LAN party!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back