Vid Card Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanger1982

I need a new vid card (for reasons see the Other Hardware forums) and I have narrowed it down to 4. Well, thier all bassically the same card (ATI 9200SE) but diffrent manufacturers. My question to you is, has anyone used any of these, would recomend them, etc? (I want to use the 9200SE rather than a nVidia for personal preference reasons.)

Powercolor
Gigabyte
Asus
Sapphire

all seem like good, known manufacturers. so i would just choose the one with the best price and features.

So you know those SE cards are very very poor.. you normally stick away form them.

Your card is pretty low end, maybe you could tell us your budget and we could find you a better card?

If your mind is set and your not moving to a different card whatsoever, get the Sapphire or Asus.

well i'm up for suggestions, but i've had so many problems with my gforce4 mx440 and have never had a problem with my ati mobility rage pro that i figured i'd go back with ati. my budget is in the $50 range.

My 2 cents would be to wait a month and save some more money and get something that will perform at a higher level and be a better investment for your $$$.

Originally posted by lowman
My 2 cents would be to wait a month and save some more money and get something that will perform at a higher level and be a better investment for your $$$.

That is, if your going to use it that actually needs some GFX Powah :) If you just need a videocard so you can see video, the 9200 should do you well I suppose. I'd get a FX5200 just because its newer hardware, but I believe thats $60/$70..

Ahh ok, I didnt realize that was the case :) Since that is the case, something low end like a 5200 should go very well.. after all, thats what they're kinda aimed at :) Lets see..

You can get a GeforceFX 5200 for $64 [kinda over your limit, but keep in mind this includes free shipping (2day air)]:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=323318

Or this Geforce2 MX400 for $41:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320431

I guess you could get a ATi 9200 if you wanted.. they're around $50 as I saw, but I'd save you the $10 and just get the MX400.

Im not entirly sure if the 9200s are new, Im not sure because I saw a 9200 with 8x AGP, it sounds like an old card since we have 9800s out and its a 9200 out, but if anyone recons getting a 9200 over MX400 is a better idea say so :)

Saying so.

The 9200SE is a cut down version of the 8500 which was ATI's former flagship before R3x0, and a good overall performer.

It has support for FULLSTREAM which makes you DivX movies look much better than they would otherwise due to using some PixelShading. (At least this is the case with the 9200. Not sure about the 9200SE, but it should support it)

[EDIT]
A quick check of the specs shows that the 9200SE does indeed support FULLSTREAM, and thus making it, imo, the ideal choice.
[/EDIT

It should also, if you want to, enable you to game a bit, though not with the highest settings.

I'd stay away from the FX5200, as it is a bad card with only check-box support for DX9 (yes, it has the capabilities, but not the speed to use them).

And what does new has to do with anything?
An entry-level card is an entry-level card even if it was announced today.

And since he doesn't want to use nVidia (which I can understand since ATI mostly has better Image Quality than nVidia), the 9200SE seems like the best deal for his money.

Oh, and as for which of the cards is the better...

I'd skip the Asus, since it only has 64mb ram, compared to the 128mb of the rest.

The Sapphire cards has faster memory than the others you've listed, which is a good thing.
It also supports a resolution of 2048x1536 @ 85hz compared to @ 75hz on the others. This would indicated the use of better components on this card than the others. And since it is 5$ less than the other two listed, this is the card I'd choose.

The Powercolor has DVI, but since you didn't say you were using an LCD monitor I don't feel it's worth it compared to the Sapphire card.

Hope this helps :)

I think the FX5200 is a card which would be good for MS Word and Excel, perhaps some Access ;), but that's about it.

It's a cut down version of a card with a lot of bottlenecks. This is a card made solely to make money of, and as such is not a card any manufacturer will put much money into it's components.

When you then add that nVidia isn't known for it's crisp and clear IQ, you are then, imo, left with a card which only belongs in an office machine which plays minesweeper at the most.

Thus I would not suggest anyone buying it for anything graphics related (yes, even watching video).

Had you suggested a GF4 ti4200 on the other hand (though I guess these still costs a bit more)

Surprisingly, Ti4200s still run ~$90 :(

It sounds to me like the ATi 9200 would be your best bet stranger :) I'd get Sapphire, if not Asus.

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
I think the FX5200 is a card which would be good for MS Word and Excel, perhaps some Access ;), but that's about it.

It's a cut down version of a card with a lot of bottlenecks. This is a card made solely to make money of, and as such is not a card any manufacturer will put much money into it's components.

When you then add that nVidia isn't known for it's crisp and clear IQ, you are then, imo, left with a card which only belongs in an office machine which plays minesweeper at the most.

Thus I would not suggest anyone buying it for anything graphics related (yes, even watching video).

Had you suggested a GF4 ti4200 on the other hand (though I guess these still costs a bit more)

I have the 5200 in my box and it works pretty well for me I can play max payne II at 1024 by 768 with no lag :D maybe I have just been lucky;)

I'd have to say the 9200SE is about as fast as my old Radeon 7500 64MB. :)

I recently upgraded to a 9600XT... Couldn't be happier with it.

Stanger, Just glad to be of service :)

agissi> That day isn't too far ahead! Just remember that you're never done learning.
And thanks for the complement :)

OS samurai> Hmm, that has to be one of the first positive feedbacks I've heard about the FX5200...
But it's good that you're happy with your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back