Vid card overheating help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malicious

i have a 8600gts 512mb vid card an it runs constant 55 C watchin movies an stuff lik that but when i get on my games im at 63-66 C i bought a lil fan that goes under it that attaches on my PCI mount slotwut is HI for that card? is it kinda goin to its limit, or am i jus being to cauious?
wut do i need to set my alarms at an be afraid of?
i have sensorview an a program that came with my asus board that watch my temps an everything....so i can set 2 different alarms

I cant really answer your question since i have a different card but i can give you some info about mine and what recently happened to me and my temps

I have a BFG 7300GT 512 (AGP) which is less than yours on performing and ect
but while installing it i messed with the fan/heatsink a little (it wobbled i guess) no harm done
so i always saw temperatures such as 50 idle 55 normal and 65 on full load i didnt really get scared since i always have my case open

well while installing my cpu fan with its paste and everything i realized i could do the same with the vcard, so i did

well i dropped my temps by a full 5 degrees (or so) just by reseating the fan/heatsink (45/50/57)

maybe you can do the same and see if something changes
i did because i messed up the factory seating from touching the fan as i said before
but i wouldnt be that scared unless your system crashes or the readings go above what you said (66)

one thing you can do is go into ntune, go to "adjust gpu settings"

set your gpu fan to manual and run it at 75% when your not running games and like maybe 85% when you are running games,

ive found this to help lower the temp 5-10c
im not sure if this will shorten your gpu fan's life too much or not, but i like my gpu running @ now the 48c rather than the 61c i saw out of the box. (idle btw)

i have the same card just about only 320mb instead (g90), i also replaced my clearside with some holy metal stuff. (metal with holes in it)

tastegw said:
one thing you can do is go into ntune, go to "adjust gpu settings"

i have ntune an stuff an not seeing this setting thing....imal look more tho

tastegw said:
i like my gpu running @ now the 48c rather than the 61c i saw out of the box. (idle btw)

wow urs was runnin at 61 idle....god i would hate to see it duriing game play..

malicious said:
i have ntune an stuff an not seeing this setting thing....imal look more tho

wow urs was runnin at 61 idle....god i would hate to see it duriing game play..

im sorry, i misread your post, thought i read that you had a 8800gts 512 (g92) card. you have a 8600. so the temps should be lower than mine.

about ntune and those options not being there, here is a link for you to update your ntune to the latest version...http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html after you download it, it will have all the latest features that come with ntune. including "adjust gpu settings" (easy overclocking) aswell as fan speed control (manual or auto)

63C during gaming is normal. If you're not seeing artifacts or hanging in a loop or rebooting you'll be fine.

i have atitool i need to seek for artifacts on it......i jus got alil scared of being so high for so long cause it might make the life of my videocard shorter...

tastegw, ur rite i have a old version of nTune even though i just downloaded it the other day caue i reformatted my computer....Im downloading the new one and am ganna let you know how my temp changes....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back