Video Artifacting and USB Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masque

I'm putting this here to bounce it off you people....I've got a rough idea of what might be happening but not sure.

Recently, I've been getting some display artifacting in 3D games only using my ATI-built 9800XT. Stock cooling on it and no overclocking. Rest temp is 61 degrees C. Drivers are latest (old cleaned out) Catalyst and 2D (desktop and such) is not affected. I'd been trouble-shooting this for awhile with nothing jumping out at me until yesterday when something happened.

I plugged an external USB 20GB drive in (2.5" laptop drive in a case) which requires 2-USB connections to function for data and power. It didn't load right and started acting flaky....not wanting to copy data off properly. I plugged the same drive into another box sitting next to me and it worked flawlessy. Also, since installing the SATA drive for my master, it is giving me some issues but nothing major.

My thoughts.....I've got a 420W Antec P/S on this rig but I'm thinking it might be getting a bit weak in the pants for what I've got. I know weak power CAN have an effect on these cards and with the potential for low USB power, I might be heading down the right path.

Just a quick rehash on what's being powered (you can also check my profile)....2-DVD drives, 2-40GB HD's, 1-120GB SATA, 3 connections to USB ports (thought the devices are under their own power), the vid card and an Athlon64 3200+.

Thanks for your time.

Sounds to me like you might be on to something with the PSU. It wouldn't hurt to disconnect a few devices to test this theory and see if the problem persists.

Temp seems a bit warm to me, might want to check that out as well. Try running with the side off the case for a while. Might also try an older driver if the new version was added just prior to the problem beginning.

Thanks....I'll try those....the issue was there on the previous driver, so that shouldn't be an issue.

BTW, thanks for moving this......by the time I realized my error in posting, it was too late. :blackeye:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back