Video Capture worked in W2K but not XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under W2K, could do video captures at 29.95 fps with NO dropped frames.

With the exact same equipment, same programs, same codecc, etc under clean install of XP, I cannot capture worth anything. Frames get lost at a huge rate, and even the picture gets jerky when it captures...which it didn't under XP. Even setting it to 15fps I can loose more frames then I capture.

I have two other friends who are also having problems capturing under XP, that they didn't under previous OS's.

Is there a tweak that needs to be done? Is this a known problem under XP?

Thanks.

Equipment used

Happauge Win-TV card
Virtualdub.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to get into the tedious task of listing all the equipment and programs.

I understand the need of course.

It just that every piece of wire, board, equipment, programs, codecc are all the same. The only change was the OS.

Thanks

Hmm.. I used to capture video with similar TV-card in XP too without any dropped frames. Does the problem seem to be CPU usage?
No, wait, I think it could be IRQ sharing, again. It's because of Windows' way of sharing IRQs when using ACPI.. You could try changing TV-card's PCI slot but the best option, IMHO, is to change your computer from "ACPI PC" to "Standard PC" in Control Panel - System - Device Manager. Just "update driver", it should work..

It's already "Standard"

Thanks for the ideas. But it's already set to "standard".

Even with a 550 AMD mhz processor and 384 mb ram and tons of HD space...is it possible the combination of equipment is possible for W2k but not XP? (and please consider that I have tweaked and shutdown unnecessary services etc.)

When I have the time I will rip the thing apart and juggle slots.

One IRQ question...I read somewhere that the capture card should not share an IRQ. Right now the capture card is sharing with itself. It is on 12 twice: Video Driver PCI Slot 4 function 0 and Aux Driver PCI Slot 4 function 1.

I never looked at this in W2K so I don't know if this is normal.

Thanks

Originally posted by actingman:
Even with a 550 AMD mhz processor and 384 mb ram and tons of HD space...is it possible the combination of equipment is possible for W2k but not XP?
Heh, maybe I'm not the best person to talk about M$ operating systems.. :giddy:
IMHO, it's possible for XP.

/me remembers M$'s XP ad "designed from the ground up to handle digital multimedia"..

One IRQ question...I read somewhere that the capture card should not share an IRQ. Right now the capture card is sharing with itself. It is on 12 twice: Video Driver PCI Slot 4 function 0 and Aux Driver PCI Slot 4 function 1.
It's normal for TV card to have two devices, audio and video. But then again, IRQ 12 is usually used by PS/2 port, too.. I guess you're using USB mouse, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back