Video Card. AGP or PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynn Jones

hi im new to the site and not good with computers. i am wanting to replace my video card (Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics) with a ATI Radeon 9200.
The problem is i dont know if the slot is AGP or PCI. i have a HP Pavilion 526X computer. I would be thankful with any advice.

PCI is for you

You do not have a current video card. you are using onboard graphics. That means a graphic accelarator is built into your Motherboard. Yes you will have to get a PCI card. The way to determine what card you will need depends on your purpose for upgrading. The problme with PCI cards, is that they do not offer a sigifigent improvment in gaming, as a AGP ot PCI-X would. But if you are not going to do alot of gaming, then a PCI card is a perfect match.Yes ati makes PCI cards, but the very best PCI cad you can get is an Nividia 5700LE. But i do believe that a 9200 is available in PCI format

G'Luck

Sean

Great, when i was looking at the Radeon 9200 it showed it was AGP and i got my hopes down on that card. But now since it is for PCI i am going to get it.
I don't really want to buy it on the net first i want to check retail stores. Any Suggestions? An could anyone explain the process of installing it into the motherboard. Thanks

You can't remove it. But you can definately disable it someway or another. check your user manuals, they should have the instructions on how to disable it (assuming its not done automatically). You probably need to install the new graphics card in there first.

Of course, I've not played around with an on board graphics, but I have played with on board sound (I don't like anything on board). Apparently mine disables itself after awhile, and I've got no problems installing a PCI sound card.

The 9200 card comes in both agp and pci so make sure of your purchase. Go to the control panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Display Adapters. This is where you remove the old video drivers. ok, The pci card goes in the white slots on your Mobo. Insert the application cd that comes with the card into your cd-rom. This will install the drivers. If you have any questions after doing this just check back here. Good Luck.

The PCI slot is one of the three slots that u have in ur MB.

There are couple of forums here abt the best PCi graphics card so check them out befor getting that card.

The Mobo is the MotherBoard...that thing where everything else is connected to it. You can find out lots of basic stuff at webopedia.com

thanks, last question i promsie there are two options with the onboard graphics (disable & uninstall) which should i do?

It can go in any of the slots. I uninstalled my integrated intel graphics when I put in my agp card. I uninstalled, turned it off, put the new card in, turned it on, and loaded the driver. It displayed with a generic driver until I got the new cards driver installed. It looked really low res. but useable. I didn't have to disable integrated in the bios(mine did it automatically). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back