Video Card Benchmark Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdunka

I have been considering getting my video card updated from my current ATI 9800 PRO 256 card to an NVIDIA 6800 Ultra 256. My 9800 card is as so:
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102290

However, I am wondering on exactly how much of a difference that will make in my processing performance. My system specs are in my profile. Is there any place that is nothing but benchmark comparisons from card to card? I know of a decent amount of benchmark sites, but nothing that has two cards from different generations, even though my 9800 card is only just a year and a half old. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I've got my eye on a new MB as well. I figured I may as well update most of the parts, but the video was the one things that may sway me either way. It all comes down to how much extra performance I see between the two cards. The MB will help as well, but pretty much everything else is close to maxed out for what I use it for as it is. I'll check that site later, it isn't coming up for me either. Thanks.

I know this is kinda drifting from what you are asking but may i suggest that if you are spending the money for a 6800 Ultra you are better off with an X800XT for a lil more money you get more performance. As for performance i upgraded from a 9800 pro which was modded to a 9800 XT to a 6800 gt which is runinng at ultra speeds.

9800 pro speed (there is almost no difference in performance between the 128MB verion and the 256 version):
3d mark 03: 6153
3d mark 05: 2317

9800 XT speed:
3d mark 03: 6580
3d mark 05: 2494

6800 GT at 413 / 1127:
3d mark 03: 12286
3d mark 05: 5369

Obviously system specs are different so your numbers mite be better or worse. There is a significant difference in video game performance as well and you can run almost all games on ultra high settings with higher resolution.
But as i suggested if you are looking for 6800 Ultra pay some more and get an x800XT PE or x850XT they are better performers. If you choose to get something lower than 6800 GT is a good card that can run at ultra speeds by overclocking it (clock speed is the only difference between the 6800 Gt and 6800 Ultra) if you want to save money you can go with the X800XL which is almost $100 cheaper and gives you performance close to the 6800 GT with 6800 Gt outperforming it in a few games.

Hope this info helps..... :wave:

Re: First post

Ok first of all the specs that were posted are scewed as they were done with nVidia drivers that were to say non-the-least, bad I would like to see new benchmarks done as i am getting about 35 FPS more in HL2 in single mode then what they are telling me I get and we wont go into the fact that I have two exteam 6800 TDs buy Asus and they are doing way more then what that site says they are benching at.

Second; on to you first you have to make a desision do you want to use SLI yes or no then you have to ask your sekf if you want ATi or nVidia's SLI as you will need difrent Mobos for their SLI. The you have to ask your self "Do I want to take this corprate blind fold off, save some money, get a real gaming Rig and build an AMD. These are all things you have to ask, before you even look at what the costs are.

As a real power user I go AMD because will I hate being told I have to use one memory controler with every CPU I use on that systemboard, that in itself is a good reason to build AMD. when you upgrade your CPU you upgrade your MC. AMD works better Microsoft has stopped producing multi CPU operating systems now that IBM, Microsoft, and Intel are not in bed with each other; MS is now building their operating systems to run on the AMD 64 chips and all intel get some kind of comatibilty app.

Now if you want to go ATi and SLI you will have to hold out for some time yet as the ATi SLI mobos are not out yet and but the time the ATi cards planned do hit the stores nVidia will have even better cards out driveing the prich of the cards now out down to a level the is even more real.

as much as I love ATi being a Canadian that has four Canada tattos and ATi being Canadian for the time if you are going to think about SLI or even PCI I would say go nVidia, I have and well the WOW factor of two 6800s and an FX55 and 1Gb of top end Kingston RAM on the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe systemboard is just well WOW.

Good luck and real look hard at what I have said and other Gamers/Power users read up on the new 64 bit PCUs and the cost / what they do, why pay $1900.00 for a chip that is 2 - 10% better then a chip that is $1200.00, if that the FX55 in the use is starting to drop to the $900.00 range because AMD is Coming out with some better stuff soon. the new 4200 is going to hit stores soon and the next FXxx will be here soon... the AMD 64 4200 is the FX55 renamed because AMD will only Flag one FXxx Chip at at time, the FXxx name just means our best 939 pin we are willing to put out at this time.

Re: 3D Mark

:bounce: 3D Mark also has to do with the CPU in the system used so if two cards with CPUs rated about the same are used eg. the the AMD 3500 and a P4 3 ghz to a P4 3.4 you will get close to the same benchmarks... to realy bench a GPU you need to take alot more into account then what they do and most bench mark apps a scewed in favor of one cpu or video card over the other and that has to change as VIA is making a comeback in the GPU card world and AMD and Intel are no-longer the only CPU boys on the block IBM and a Russian company are making into the main-stream world. I am told by a bud that works at ATi there is going to be a whole ne GPU player on the block aswell ANOTHER Canadian ferm that will realy be kicking teeth. So there is good news for us one the buying end but realy how long will it take for costs to realy go down look at the cost of gas...

Cool, thanks for all the info. I'll probably stick with my current setup for now. I'm looking at about $900+ to make a minor-medium increase. I'll wait a half year or so for the next setup to come out. By then, I'll probably buy a dual video card setup. :)

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back