video card driver problems ati radeon x700

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyleronline

hi everyone im new here so plaese bare with me.i recently bought a radeon x700 graphics card for my pc but have had a bit of trouble getting it started. i iserted the card into the agp 8x slot.i then started up my pc but was not greeted by any new hardware wizard or anything at all.i am quite sure the card is in properly but have had nothing onscreen that acknolowges its existence.i plugged my monitor into the onboard graphics card because the new card doesnt work.i have downloaded the drivers from the ati website but get an error message when trying to install them.it says "setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration.please make sure that you have the required hardware or software". i simply dont understand.any help on this matter would be graetly appreciated
i have a carillon ac-1 with 3.2 intel p4 cpu
asrock 775i65gv motherboard
512 mb ram
win xp home

Does anyone know if it could be a compatibility issue between the graphics card and the motherboard? thanks

Try this.

Remove the card, and delete the drivers you just installed.

Reboot and go into safe mode. Go to your device manager, and delete the drivers for your onboard graphics.

Shut off computer.

Put your new card in. MAKE SURE you are reading your user manual when installing. I don't know if that card requires a connection to your PSU or not, but confirm and hook up if needed.

Connect your monitor to the card.

Turn on and boot into BIOS.

Find the settings for boot up video (can't remember exactly what it is called, but something like that) and change it to "AGP".

Reboot into windows, and install drivers.

If that doesn't work, then we'll start some troubleshooting. Good luck!

P.S. if that DOESN'T work, please give us some more info about your PSU. What brand and how many watts?

And another thought.... as this is the first time for you to us the AGP slot, you may need to install / update your motherboard AGP drivers.

hi thanks for your advice i will try it now. there is now installation guiade as such just a user manual which only covers software.my psu is a carillon ultramute.max wattage 320.hope that helps.i shall try to update the drivers first thanks.i shall hunt them down on the website.thank you.

320watt?

Yeesh. You may not have enough power for your card.... could very well be your problem right there.... The newer cards take up a lot of juice.

The ATI webiste recommends at least 300watts, so you are barely there, but if it is a cheap PSU it may not be enough. I have heard that PSUs generally only run at about 70% efficiency, so you are in the danger zone.

I'd seriously consider upgrading that PSU and soon. Especially if you plan to continue upgrading. Luckily, they are not too expensive. :D

By the way, I edited my post above telling you how to install the new card. When you are in the bios, you are not changing the setting to "VGA", you are changing to "AGP". :giddy:

hi i connected the smallest plug from the psu to the card but still nothing.is there any other connections needed? i am also having trouble booting into the bios to change the settings could you please walk me through it? thanks

if i have the monitor plugged into the new card should i be seeing something on the monitor without the drivers or anything else being installed.beacause i dont.thanks

Yes, you should be seeing something. The fact that you are not means that the card is either:

1. Not correctly installed
2. Your PSU is not enough
3. You haven't changed your bios settings
4. The card is damaged

If it is 3, then that is great news so let's give it a shot.

One sec, I'll go into my bios and look at what that setting is called and hope your bios is similar.

DonNagual said:
320watt?

Yeesh. You may not have enough power for your card.... could very well be your problem right there.... The newer cards take up a lot of juice.

The ATI webiste recommends at least 300watts, so you are barely there, but if it is a cheap PSU it may not be enough. I have heard that PSUs generally only run at about 70% efficiency, so you are in the danger zone.

I'd seriously consider upgrading that PSU and soon. Especially if you plan to continue upgrading. Luckily, they are not too expensive. :D

By the way, I edited my post above telling you how to install the new card. When you are in the bios, you are not changing the setting to "VGA", you are changing to "AGP". :giddy:

I thought psu efficiency meant that a 320w psu with 70% efficiency, would use about 460W to make 320W, i.e. lose 30% of what went into the supply. I think good psus put out what they are rated to(320w psu should support 320w max). I think 300-350w is enough for most any system, except sli/extreme oc'ing. I ran my a64 gaming system on a 350w psu, and it worked fine.

Alright, let's hope that our bios' are similar enough that this helps you. Otherwise you need to check your motherboard manual (you can download it on the maker's website if you don't have it anymore) and find out how to enable AGP.

In bios I went to

-Advanced
-PCIPnP
-Init Display First

You want to change this setting to AGP.

vnf4ultra said:
I thought psu efficiency meant that a 320w psu with 70% efficiency, would use about 460W to make 320W, i.e. lose 30% of what went into the supply. I think good psus put out what they are rated to(320w psu should support 320w max). I think 300-350w is enough for most any system, except sli/extreme oc'ing. I ran my a64 gaming system on a 350w psu, and it worked fine.

You are right about "efficiency" and I agree that if ATI recommends a 300W power supply and you have a 320W you are probably OK.

Even if it IS enough, that PSU will be working pretty hard, even with just the basic hardwares hooked up. And "320W power supply" doesn't really tell us much about it. How many volts on each rail?

Bottom line for me, if you have a cheap PSU, and having problems with your computer, the first thing you should suspect is that PSU. And I think if someone is on a 320W PSU and upgrading to things like newer powerful video cards, that 320W power supply is the weak link in the system.

I don't know if this is the cause of the troubles he is having or not, but do you really think 320 is enough for his system? I am not a computer pro by any means but..... 320?

I'd have to assume that the 350W supply you are referring to was a high quality one, made by a quality maker. I don't really think it is fair to say that since you were able to run on a 350W that anyone can... A high quality 350W is much better than a low quality 400W.... wouldn't you agree?

tyleronline said:
hi i connected the smallest plug from the psu to the card but still nothing.is there any other connections needed? i am also having trouble booting into the bios to change the settings could you please walk me through it? thanks

I just checked your motherboard support pages and according to them:

Q: When I want to install an add-on AGP graphics card, do I need to adjust any settings in the BIOS if my motherboard has Onboard VGA?

A: No! You do not need to adjust any settings in the BIOS. ASRock motherboard will switch between add-on AGP and Onboard VGA automatically when you install or uninstall it.

So that rules that out...

Did you follow this installation guide EXACTLY?
http://www2.ati.com/manuals/117-40154-80.pdf

Especially hooking up the power to the card. You said you connected the smallest cable from the PSU.... was it a 4 pin connector?

You don't by chance have another computer you can test that card in do you? Or better yet, a different card that you can test in your computer?

i seriously do think it may be a compatibiltiy issue though.I have emailed the motherboard manufacturer on this. the motherboard manual states " the AGI (asrock graphics interface) slot is a special design that only supports compatible AGP VGA cards. It then gives a list of compatible cards and mine is not listed. but i have been told by several people that as long as the card supports AGP 8x then it will be compatible with the motherboard. i have also just been told that my motherboard does not require a change to the BIOS to enable the desired card. So im getting more and more sure of the problem being compatibility.any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.thanks again for all your help.best wishes, will.
p.s i connected the 4 pin connector from the psu to the card. the psu should be of very high quality as it came with a very well built system from carillon.again thanks for all your help.its always nice to find a helpfull forum!

Wow. I just found that list you are talking about:

http://www.asrock.com/support/AGI8X_LIST/p4i65gv.htm

Strange thing about it is, you can insert a 6800 card in there but not a 6600? And there are VERY few ATI cards supported it seems. And as you said, the x700 is not on that list. Ouch.

I guess the best you can do is be sure all your bios and chipset drivers are up to date, and if that doesn't work.... I don't know how you can get that card working. You need someone with a bigger techbrain than I have, if it is possible at all. :(

Sorry mate, that should have been the first thing I checked was what AGP cards are supported on your motherboard. Lesson learned. Glad you found the reason anyways, and good luck!

if anybody could reccomend any of the cards on the compatible list in the post above i would be extremely greatfull. i would like to be able to be play games such as half life 2 battlefield 2 etc.all the latest games really.my budget is between £50 and £100.would this kind of card be possible on that budget?
i have been considering the ASUS V9570TD GeForce FX5700 256MB but the only one i can fing for sale in the u.k is the 128mb version.do you think this would still be compatible as list states 256mb?
thanks again will
the list of compatible cards is the link in the post above.

iam also considerting the ASUS 128MB GeForce FX5200 - V9520 but wasnt sure whether this card would be good enough to run stuff like half life 2 very well.thanks

DonNagual said:
You are right about "efficiency" and I agree that if ATI recommends a 300W power supply and you have a 320W you are probably OK.

Even if it IS enough, that PSU will be working pretty hard, even with just the basic hardwares hooked up. And "320W power supply" doesn't really tell us much about it. How many volts on each rail?

Bottom line for me, if you have a cheap PSU, and having problems with your computer, the first thing you should suspect is that PSU. And I think if someone is on a 320W PSU and upgrading to things like newer powerful video cards, that 320W power supply is the weak link in the system.

I don't know if this is the cause of the troubles he is having or not, but do you really think 320 is enough for his system? I am not a computer pro by any means but..... 320?

I'd have to assume that the 350W supply you are referring to was a high quality one, made by a quality maker. I don't really think it is fair to say that since you were able to run on a 350W that anyone can... A high quality 350W is much better than a low quality 400W.... wouldn't you agree?

I guess mine was high quality, it was an antec 350w, antec's seem pretty good.

I agree, many psu's are junk, get a good brand if you need one.

Don't get a 5200, they aren't very fast, it would be a slideshow on the absolute lowest bf2 settings IMO.

The 6800 is the best card listed on the list, afaik.
Would a 6800 be in you're budget? I don't know what 6800's would cost in other countries.

Hl2 benchmark.
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/vga-charts-pcie-05.html

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeForce_6800.html
It looks like a 6800 is about 100#'s(no pound key, lol), w/o vat.
Don't get a le 6800.

It seems the "agi" port isn't as fast as agp, so if you get a fast card like a 6800, it might not run at its full performance.

i would like to get something like the 6800 but that chipset isnt on the compatibility list for the motherboard apart from one by winfast but i cant find anywhere to but that from.i would like this card the ASUS V9570TD GeForce FX5700 256MB. this is compatible with the motherboard. in the u.k i can only find the 128 mb version.i dont know whether this would supported or not as its not listed.does anybody know how good that card is? i was also looking at the ASUS V 9900/TD fx5800.any thoughts on either cards or compatibilty?thanks

hey thanks vnf4ultra thats great.its slightly out of my price range but i think ill go for it.i still dont understand why there are so few cards availible for the my motherboard. but the card seems really good.will it be able to run stuff like hl2 and bf2 no trouble?thanks again for all your help.why is that people on forums are more helpfull than the manufacturers themselves? and better natured? anyway many thanks.will

I am still at a loss as to why your motherboard will support just that ONE model of the 6800, and no 6600 cards... first time for everything! :)

That card will have no problems running the newer games. If you still are feeling you need more performance after you get that card, I'd look at going up to a gig of ram.

Upgrades are endless ;)

yeah i think its had quite a few people baffled. i think i may get a som emore ram anyway take advantage of the dual memory capability.two gig of corsair sounds nice! thnaks again for all your help.regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back