Video card for p4 1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody!
Found this site in google.
So here is the question: my niece has an old computer p4 1.8, video mx440. And she wants to play some rather new games, of course her video card is not enough for that, I thought to buy her a 7600gs, but was wondering if it makes her cpu a bottleneck of all the system? Should I get her some less powerful card or its okay to buy that one? Its agp if that changes something.
Thanks in advance and sorry for my cool English.

Hi varied :wave: and welcome to TechSpot

Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS & 7600GT Review
Which may be the page that googled brought you to.

When it comes to selecting video cards for your system, it's not size or performance that fully matters, but compatibility with your current system.

If you would like to provide your System Specs in full, and add them to your Profile. I'm sure someone will advise you, your best option in video card selection.

Hope to hear back from you soon :)

Hi, Kimsland!
Thanks for advice, I've just updated my profile, there are two PCs, the first one is mine and the second one of my niece. So if someone would like to help they should look at the second PC. And I'm going to update what MoBo is in the niece's PC tomorrow.
And thanks again, Kimsland!

Note the following steps may have delays when opening, just be patient

Go here
http://www.powerleap.com/downloads/exe/InSPECS.exe
Run
Run
Allow
Allow ActiveX
On left hand side, click on "Graphics"
Read the writing that comes up on right hand side
Click on "More Information"
You may need to select your language
Sometimes you may get a greyed out window (like an add) that pops up, just "Close" that little window
You will then see the updated video card that will work in your system

Other than that wait for other replies from members

But if your happy with the result let us know.

If youre running a P4 1.8 Im assuming youve got a socket 478 motherboard with agp......

With a p4 1.8 the cpu may be the bigger issue but you could use cards such as these,
Nvidia

6600gt
7600gs
7600gt
6800gs
6800gt

Ati
x1600pro
x850pro
x800gto
X1950pro

For the money a 7600gs or 7600gt would be very good choices but be sure the power supply is sufficient to handle say a 7600gt. Hopefully you are running at least a 450w psu or better in your system.

Great place to look for video cards is at www.newegg.com and take a look in their open box area......

Not sure what games you will be playing but be sure you have at least 512mbs or better of ram and that the video card you choose also has 256mb at least......

Hi, Crosscourt! Thanks for posting!
Yes, You are right about socket! And that all of the cards You mentioned can be used I know that too, but what I was interested in was what is the best choice for p4 1.8. I mean I can buy GF 7600GT and it will make CPU a bottleneck of all the system, About ram - there is 1gb, PSU is 400w, but thats not a problem, because system by it self uses less than 300w. If it helps - mobo's name is BH7-E and it has 1 agp 4x slot.

To kimsland
Thanks for your InSPECS.exe, but it advised me gf 5200, that card, as I know, is not any better than gf4 mx400. Yes, its better but not that much.
And thanks again!

It depends alot on the game as some games are more cpu dependent and others are more video card dependent.

Some of the newer games do require cpus faster than what you are running presently but can you run a 7600gt.... yes you can but from a cash standpoint based on your system presently I think the 7600gs would be the best compromise of performance vs cost vs present system specs.

You may have to drop to lower resloutions and have to turn off some graphical features with some games like shadows or dynamic lighting.
FSAA and anisotropic filtering I wouldnt use either to maintain performance.

BH7 is a good board and you could also look at upgrading the cpu.

If you moved to a faster cpu and a 7600gt it could extend the life of the system for gaming.

Many games right now scale very well with older systems,World of Warcraft is an example, so its difficult to say whether the P4 1.8 will become a bottleneck for the system vs the video card.

Good luck and let me know what happens, Varied

Ive been a gaming editor at a few sites and Ive been gaming since the 80s...

I decided to go with 7600gs 256mb, since I'm not going to update CPU in the near future.
Thanks to all for Your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back