Video Card Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to say that this board has given me some great advice in the past, but this go around I coudln't find anything regarding this situation.

Here it is. Last week, i went to startup my computer. After going through the Windows XP Screen loading in screen, the monitor goes blank. Normally what would appear is the my log-in screen. I can however get past that by restarting the computer in safe mode.

I called Dell (not very helpful), and the woman walked me through a bunch of steps and then we concluded to do the Windows XP fix, which took 30 minutes. The problem was fixed, or so I thought.

Today when I turned the computer on, same problem. This time, I booted in safe mode. After logging on, I disabled the NVIDIA 32MB driver card, the computer wanted to reboot and it booted right up. I went on Dell's website and downloaded the newest driver for my card and installed it. Now everything is working fine, sort of......

Here are the problems:

The screen is actually out of place, The right and left are bowed and no matter how I work the settings on the monitor i can't fix that.

Also when I scroll, let's say in IE, or word, or any program it now scrolls at snails speed.

Any advice? Is my video card shot? Shoudl I purchase a new one? Is xp and my video card not working together in harmony?

Thanks

Video card?

It could be video drivers causing the problem. Depending on the card, you maybe able to get better drivers elsewhere. I used to get my drivers from dell, but then I found I could get newer drivers direct from the video card manufacturer. Or the problem could be a defective card, which would require a video card replacement. Depending on your video performance needs, you could spend $30-400+ us on a video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back